Chapter Eight: Team Rocket

"We need to go! That twerp has probably found Pikachu by now!" Meowth said eagerly.

"Calm down," said Jessie. "we're leaving now."

They all were headed to where they kidnapped Pikachu in the first place: the camp site. James opened the secret hatch out of their underground base and locked it after the other two climbed out. They snuck away as dried up leaves crinkled beneath their shoes.

When they arrived at the camp site, they heard Ash and Jenny, and waited until they left. Leaving with them was a Chikorita.

"Where did that little rat go?" Jessie said, frustrated.

"C'mon, he couldn't have gone that far." said Meowth.

They began walking quietly down that path that led to the stream. They spotted a clearing, and came to a stop, for they heard pokémon talking. Meowth peeked through the grass and saw Chikorita and Pikachu, eating berries by the stream. He, being the only pokémon in Team Rocket, stepped out casually and greeted them. "Hello there."

Pikachu and Chikorita turned around and stared at him in fear.

"Don't worry - I'm not that meowth from Team Rocket, I get that a lot."

The two frightened pokémon stopped holding their breath with a big exhale.

"Hey, are you that pikachu that's friends with that boy? Ash, I think."

Pikachu hesitated, then nodded.

"Cool, where is he?"

Pikachu looked down and did not reply.

"Oh, he abandoned you. I'm so sorry. Humans aren't to be trusted, the nasty things." Meowth looked back at the trees, and Jessie and James scowled at him.

Chikorita asked suspiciously, "Chika, chikorita?" which meant, "What do you want?"

"Oh, I was just on my way to Viridian City, and came upon this bush of berries. I'm starving," He lied as he dived into the bush, devouring as many berries as he could fit in his mouth.

"Well, I'd best be on my way. I don't want to be late." and with that, he was gone.