Chapter Fourteen: Demolition

"Well, as you may have heard," the boss said. "we are burning this building down tonight. You may as well leave, and I will go now too." And with that, he gathered up his things, walked to the door, looked back and nodded at Ash. Then he disappeared behind the door that Jenny had left through earlier.

Ash was all alone. He stood there for a few minutes, then remembered that Jessie and James would come soon to burn down the building. Ash looked out the window and saw the sun beginning to rise in the east. Ash ran towards the stairway. "They will be here any minute now," he thought.

As Ash began to race up the stairs, he heard the door open and voices come in. Too late. Ash froze and listened. 

"Is everyone gone?" James asked.

"Yeah, the desks are gone." Jessie replied.

"Well then, lets get started."

The two poured gasoline all over the room, and the smell was overpowering. Ash then heard a click, and the smell of smoke wafted up the stairway. He heard the door shut, and Team Rocket was gone.

Ash knew his only chance of getting out of the building was through the trapdoor on the roof. He dashed down the hallway, chased by the ominous black fog engulfing the way behind him. "No turning back now," he thought as he approached the door.

With a huge push, the door did not budge. Ash was heaving in the smoke and tried again and again. The door was locked "But this must mean that someone went through the door after me and Jenny." Ash thought.

Ash was too panicked to dwell on such things for long. He searched the corridor for any other exit. With no luck, he hesitantly accepted the fact that he would have to go back down the stairs and through the door that everyone had left through.

His lungs were now filled with the smog as he staggered weakly down the stairs. The orange flame-filled room that once held desks greeted him as he rounded the corner. Ash's eyesight was affected by the heat surrounding him, and he was gasping for air. His eyes went all blurry and his lungs gave out. A small cry came out of the boy as he hit the ground and shut his eyes.

~TO BE CONTINUED~