Chapter Twelve: Trouble

The tall tower loomed over Ash and Jenny. They walked around the building to find an entrance, but without any luck, decided to search for another way in. "Look!" Ash exclaimed, pointing at a rusty metal fire escape. "We can climp up this."

The fire escape extended all the way to the top of the tower. The two hesitated, then began ascending the wobbly stairs. With each step, their feet crunched on the layer of rust covering the stairway. They dared not speak, for they were too focused on the placement of their feet. Up they rose, passing boarded up windows and crumbling bricks.

At last, they had reached the top. The top of the building was completely bare, aside from a few empty boxes and a trapdoor that was in the center. The pale moonlight cast shadows over every bump or box, creating creepy illusions. The two looked at the door, at eachother, then at the door again. There only choice was to go down.

Ash bent down and unlatched the door. With a big pull, the door opened with a soft creak. Jenny entered first, carrying her gun. It was not loaded, but would still intimidate anyone who meant them harm. She looked around, then whispered to Ash, "The coast is clear."

Ash followed Jenny down the dark hole. They climbed down the cold, stiff ladder and dropped into a dimly lit hallway. There were no doors, and the paint was peeling off the walls. The two proceeded down the hallway until they reached a set of stairs. Down them was a glow of light, and voices spoke quietly. Ash and Jenny didn't know what they were saying. A few minutes later, the voices went silent, and the two heard a door shut. They had left.

They tiptoed down the steps into the room below. Jenny peeked around the corner and quickly spun her head back. She had saw a man sitting at  a desk at the back of the room. Ash and Jenny hid behind the wall and held their breath. The man had seen Jenny, and his voice, rather than angry, was calm. "Officer Jenny," he said, "Welcome back. Your assignment is at your desk. Have you gotten the Pikachu?"

"I, I-" Jenny stuttered, looking back nervously at Ash. "Not yet, sir."