➖ Retrace: Temperance

THE CHRISTMAS TREE LIT UP THE ROOM. The lights were dimmed and only the light in the kitchen shone brightly. Saiko, Shirazu and then Tooru all left to their rooms, leaving Haise and Hayami alone. They tidy up the living room and kitchen. Hayami wanted to help despite Haise telling her she didn't need to. However, she couldn't just let him do everything by himself.

"The coffee was delicious." Hayami commented as she handed Haise a tray with coffee cups and an empty plate on which cookies once were; now there were only crumbs. "And your team is quite interesting."

Haise took the tray. "Yeah, though they can be a handful sometimes." He said. "But nothing I can't handle."

Haise placed everything in the dishwasher. Hayami took a seat on the barstool and watched him as he worked. She enjoyed seeing him being completely in his world while he did something. But most of all, Aya was happy to see how content he was. He was happy with the life he had. He was as happy as Haise Sasaki. The people that surrounded him, made him happy and the work he had, made him feel like he had a purpose.

Remembering Ken, Aya found herself experiencing sadness. He was such a tragedy. Aya remembered the struggle he was experiencing. Ever since Aogiri Tree kidnapped him and ever since Yamori "killed" the sanity in him, Ken didn't have many happy moments or reasons to enjoy his life. That's not the life he should have – Aya didn't want Haise to remember Ken; she didn't want him to remember how painful and sad his life was.

"Thank you for helping me clean up."

Hayami snapped out of her thoughts and forced a smile before he could see the sadness adoring her face. "No problem." She said – but she was not that good at hiding the overwhelming sadness that took her over with memories of Ken.

Haise looked at her with worry. "Everything okay?" He was concerned.

Hayami shook her head, dismissing his concern. "No, everything okay, it's just that...I don't think Urie likes me that much."

Haise chuckled. "Don't worry about him. He... can be difficult sometimes." He said as he took a seat on the bar stool next to her. "I'll talk to him about it." He reassured her. "I guess, he thinks inviting you to Chateau is a bit too quick since we don't know each other that long."

Hayami agreed with him. "Well, that is true..."

"It's just that..." Haise stared at the floor as he gathered his thoughts and the right words to say. "I can't remember my life from two years ago. And there is something about you... that feels like home."

Haise looked at her and Aya felt herself melting under his gaze. He was truthful and that truth was cutting Aya apart. To hear those words made her happy, as much as it may concern. The plan was to make him remember Ken Kaneki, but seeing how much Haise Sasaki was happy – Aya found executing the plan to the fullest a difficulty.

"So, I have to ask you..." Haise took her silence as an opportunity to continue. "Did we know each other?"

Yes. Aya found herself answering that question in her mind. However, Aya could not answer that question, nor could she lie to him. Who am I kidding – I am already lying – Aya felt guilt taking a large place in her heart.

"No, I don't think so." Hayami answered. Liar – she screamed at herself. "But, you said you don't remember your life from two years ago... What happened?"

Haise shrugged. "I don't know. Investigator Kishou Arima took me under his wing and put me in a rehabilitation program. That's how I became Haise Sasaki, Rank 3 Ghoul Investigator." Haise explained to her, his eyes finding the ground more interesting as he talked to her.