Ribbon

Holy crap it's race day.

My first race day in f1.

I decided to tie my hair back in a half up half down and secure it with an orange bow for team papaya.

I decided to take my own car to todays race to really get my head straight before todays race.

Don't get me wrong I loved driving with Lando before qualifying but today is where I really needed to just be alone.

I arrived at the garage extra early this morning to make sure the car was all set and talk with a few of the engineers about the problems that I had yesterday.

They said it was all fine so I hope they're right on that.

I took a moment looking in the mirror adjusting my bow.

And then I made the impulsive decision to look at my phone.

I had first opened Instagram and noticed that the fake pictures about how I broke my nose had been edited and posted.

Crazy how realistic photoshop can be.

Then I saw a picture of me from today walking into the garage and McLaren had put the bow emoji as a caption.

I then made the rookie mistake to open the stupid comments.

I don't know why people didn't like the bow, but they really didn't.

Before I could dive any deeper into the wretched comments, a familiar name popped up on my phone.

The one and only, Dan.

Why was he calling me?

"Hello?" I answer in somewhat of a confused tone.

"Don't act surprised Lacy you know who's fucking calling you."

"Listen I'm not even going to bother asking why you're calling because I'll let you save your breath. Dan I've known you for three years of my life and we've spent every minute of it together. But after how you've been treating me lately and especially that episode the other day in the conference room, I've finally reached my breaking point." I rant to him trying not to cry.

"Gosh Dan I can't even talk to another man without you being jealous. So no, that doesn't sound like a me problem, that's something that your insecure ass has to clearly work on."

"Lacy I was trying to punch the wall you shouldn't have been standing in my way." He tries to gaslight me.

"I'm sorry what? Gosh you're sick." I say my voice breaking.

This phone conversation lasts for hours.

I know I could have hung up, but I needed closure on this relationship once and for all.

I couldn't keep making excuses for him or being scared as to what he would say if I went out with people or about what I wore.

I wanted my life back.

I wanted to be happy again.

I notice Lando and Daniel standing outside of the office room that I was currently sobbing in while trying to explain my perspective of my toxic relationship to my soon to be ex boyfriend.

The walls must be pretty thin because I hear Lando ask, "how long has she been in there."

"About two and a half ish hours by now." Daniel replies while checking his watch.

"Well she doesn't have much more time until it's lights out at this point." Lando says before heading back to the McLaren paddock.

I turn my attention back to my phone conversation.

"Listen Dan I don't know why you decided to call right before my first race but I have to go soon ok?"

"Right because racing always takes priorities."

"Well at least other women didn't take my priority unlike you in our relationship." I bite back at his comment.

"Lacy," I hear a knock on the door, "you've got to start getting ready doll, there's like forty minutes until lights out." I hear Lando from the doorway all geared up.

I decide to say my last few words to Dan before hanging up on the phone and hanging up on our relationship.

We both decided it would be best to cut off contact from eachother for good considering I would never get back with that asshole.

My finger hovered over the red button and the call dropped.

I had actually never been more proud of myself.

I walked over to Lando with tears in my eyes and he gave me a hug holding me tight for a moment.

"Oh Lacy, you're so much better than that ass and you know it." He says while stroking my hair but being careful to not mess up the bow.

"Why do I settle for people that don't ever love me back?" I say feeling somewhat defeated.

"We accept the love we think we deserve." He says back in a soothing tone.

I pull away from our embrace.

"How do you-"

"Lacy that's my favourite coming of age film. Now come on let's get you suited up." He says while wiping a tear away from my cheek.

For a moment we just stare intently into each other's eyes.

I feel as if I'm transported to another realm.

The world feels still for a moment.

So much was happening all at once honestly.

Today is a big day for Lacy Katz here.

Just then I notice Liam enter the room causing Lando and I to break our intimate eye contact.

"Lace you ok?" Liam asks concerned.

"Never been better." I say with tears still pouring down my face but I manage to laugh at my own sarcasm.

The two laugh at my comment but I can sense concern in their facial expressions.

"And trust me I feel like this little breakup is going to light a fire under my ass before the race."

"Well you better hurry that ass of yours up because lights out are real soon Lace." 

"I'm going I'm going." I say while taking my hair out of the bow and handing it to Lando for a moment.

"Here just hold onto this I've got to get suited up." I say while sprinting to my change room in the McLaren garage.

"I don't know why people didn't like her bow so much, it's so... what's that word again? Coquette right?" I hear Lando faintly as I'm still running.

I would never have thought to hear the Lando Norris say that my bow was coquette.