Beach House

"And then she was getting really angry at me asking why I was in her boyfriend's room, like I don't even think they're even official yet. Oh and then she was all like 'you're not attractive enough to be with Dior, why did they pick someone like you over me.'"

Mrs. Lawson, Liam and I decided to go get brunch before our big race tomorrow to get caught up.

"There's no way she said that! She seems so nice. I didn't know she was such a bit-" 

"Language Liam." His mother interrupts while I giggle to myself.

"I just don't know what to do, like do I tell Lando?"

"Lacy, we both know you make good decisions, I'm sure when the moment is right you'll have the opportunity to tell Lando the situation and go from there. Whatever you decide, I'll be proud of you either way." Liam's mom reassures me while leaning in for a hug.

Gosh I wish my actual mother said she was proud of me.

Don't get me wrong I loved spending time with Liam and his family, but it just reminded me of what I don't, and will never, have.

"Yeah I say you tell him Lacy. I mean think about it. He told you he knew about the whole plate situation with Dan. Yeah you didn't take that so great but I'm sure looking back now you appreciate his honesty." Liam says while picking up three pieces of pancake with his fork at once.

"You're right, I just don't want him to be mad at me that's all." I say while staring at my food realizing I'm not in fact hungry at all.

"He might in the moment but I'm sure later he'll be fine." Mrs. Lawson says with a reassuring smile.

This woman sitting beside me sees beyond my scars, recognizing the strength within me, and takes pride in my every accomplishment, no matter how small. 

She treats me as if I'm one of her own, I mean her son and I practically grew up together.

"First home race tomorrow and you did well in quali today so should be quite the show for you." I say trying to revert the convorsation.

Liam had finished p4 today while I qualified a solid p6 putting me in a good spot to get some points tomorrow.

Max of course had taken pole and Lando took p3.

"I know, you wouldn't believe the amount of media stuff they're making Daniel and I do for our home race but it's special so of course I'm excited." Liam says as we get up from the table and head out of the restaurant.

"Lovely to see you as always Lacy. Keep your head up darling you've done it before you can do it again." Mrs. Lawson says while wrapping her arms around me.

In that moment, the world outside fades into insignificance, and all that matters is the comforting presence of her embrace.

"See you tomorrow Lace and good luck with that Lando thing." Liam says before leaving with his mother.

I contemplate whether or not I should tell Lando. 

I didn't want to sabotage his relationship. If he was happy with her then I'm happy for him, but I think he should know what the real Evelyn is like.

The happy couple had rented a villa off the coast just the two of them for the weekend so I was scared that she would be upset at my sudden appearance.

I decided to call him to subtly check in if she would be there.

"Hey Lacy what's going on?" I hear Lando's soft voice being accompanied by the crashing of waves in the background.

"Not much just checking in, how's it going with you?"