The Boardroom

I pulled up to the McLaren HQ.

Hold on let me just write that again because that was way too casual of me.

So yes. I pulled up to the McLaren HQ.

So many nerves were running through me. This would be the first time I'd ever meet the entire team including my teammate.

I stare at the building for a moment noticing the water shining outside the perfectly architected building.

I feel a squeeze on my hand and my boyfriend of three years gives me a smile.

"Go kill it." He smiles as I open the car door and slam it shut too caught up in my nerves to even reply.

I inch forward and before I put a hand on the front door I hesitate.

I want to remember this moment. Remember the water. Remember the nerves. Remember Dan.

Remember Dan?

Oh shit I forgot to say goodbye to Dan.

Meh whatever I'll see him tonight anyways.

I swing open the door and just take it all in.

It smells so nice inside the building I don't even know how to explain it.

A man in a business suit approaches me.

"Can I help you?" The man asks with his eyes giving me a judgemental up down look.

"Um yes I was told to go the board room I'm not exactly sure where that is." I reply.

"No. I don't think you heard me. I said can I help you?" He gives a firm look.

"Yes I'm looking for the board room. If you would like me to spell it out, I'm the newest driver here?" I say confused as to the fact that he doesn't know that I'm the new driver here.

"Oh. Really." He glances again. "You?"

Just then I hear a familiar voice from the one and only Zak Brown.

"Lacy! Amazing to see ya. Here I'll show you to the board room."

Finally. I think to myself.

We walk up the central flight of stairs and I enter a room full of about 20 different McLaren engineers and employees.

Zak points me to a seat with my name on it.

Just then the one and only Lando Norris enters the room with a "Sorry I'm late."

"So. Yes I know some of you might have heard that we have a new driver on our hands. And I would like for us to give a warm welcome to her-"

Some whispers arise.

"Lacy why don't you stand up for us." Zak continues.

"Hi I'm Lacy Katz." I say sheepishly.

Lando reaches out his hand to me and shakes my hand.

"Lovely to meet you. I'm suprised you all are whispering as if you don't know who Katz is. The reining f2 champion but anyways continue with your whispering." Lando projects to the whole room.

He made me feel appreciated with that small speech.

"Yes if you're not familiar with Ms. Katz. Trust me you will soon enough."

After a while of debriefing the upcoming season and meeting with a few PR members I finally felt in the loop of the McLaren team.

As I'm about to leave I hear a voice behind me.

"Hey. I know the new season especially first year might seem intense but I am going to promise you right now. It's not as bad as it seems." Lando says as he walks beside me.

"I really hope you're right because I'm so fucking scared. I mean you heard people being skeptical in the boardroom about a female driver." I reply

"Yea I'm kind of suprised they don't know who you are though."

"Sounds like you're a bit of a fan girl." I smile jokingly.

"You're number one fan." Lando says shaking fake Pom Poms.

Lando pauses and then goes to speak "There's a dinner that a few of us drivers are going to to ring in the new season. I don't know if you'd maybe be interested in going? I could introduce you to a few of the guys I know they've been curious as to who the mystery McLaren driver is." Lando explains to me.

"Oh my gosh yes of course. I've been a bit hesitant about meeting the grid. And meeting the world of f1. I'm a bit scared how they'll react to me being there on the grid." I explain truthfully.

"Don't worry I'm sure they'll love you." He eyes me up and down but looks away when I make eye contact.

"When and where?" I ask.

"What?" He says looking confused and in a daze.

"When and where's the dinner?"

"Oh. Friday at seven at the Black Cat diner. I can drive you if you'd like." Lando offers.

"Oh that's really nice of you but I'm sure my boyfriend Dan could easily drop me off so it's not a hassle for you."

"Oh. Yes of course. Yea totally."

"Wait what am I supposed to wear to it? Like formal or?" I say before leaving the building.

"Yes formal sorry I forgot to mention. We all get dressed up for it." He replies.

"Ok perfect I'll see you then." I say with a wave goodbye.

Dan pulls up outside of the building rolls down his window and greets me with a kiss.

I see Lando lingering in the lobby but as I turn to wave to him from the car he hurriedly runs away.

I hope Landos promise of this season not being as bad as it seems is true.