Tw: Stalking, creepy vibes, violence, language.

It was fascinating, really, how strange everything was with Nyla around. Alastor didn't usually care so much about others. It was easier not to. Yet with her, he was overcome by this feeling of... jealousy whenever someone else was with her.

So as he was staring down at her while she slept by his side, he felt content and satisfied. This was how the world should be.

And when she woke, he didn't want to let her leave. Why did she have to go? He was everything she would need.

Wait, what?

"Why- What am I doing here?" Nyla asked as she lifted her head.

"You had a nightmare, so you came here." Alastor set his book down and stretched out his legs. 

Nyla wrinkled her nose. "Right."

Alastor lay on his stomach, kicking his legs up in the air behind him as he watched her climb out of his bed. "I was-

"No. Not today." Nyla shook her head. "I have things to do."

Alastor perked up. "Splendid! I'd love to come along on another one of your little errand trips!"

"You're not coming," Nyla firmly said. "Even if you do come along, I'll just stay back. This is where I put my foot down."

Alastor nodded curtly. "Of course, then. I would hate to cross any boundaries."

Nyla looked relieved. "Good."

He would follow her, obviously, but she didn't need to know that. Secrets were messy and unnecessary, so it was better for him to just know what she was hiding.

"Thank you for letting me stay the night," Nyla softly said in the doorway. She had paused to glance back at him. "Maybe you aren't so bad after all."

Alastor gave her a pointed look. "Don't think I've forgotten that you know who the Soul Reaper is. I expect an answer, and I expect it soon."

Nyla shook her head. "I'll tell you tonight after I finish up my tasks. Deal?"

"Careful," Alastor warned, "you've already made two deals with me. I don't think you could handle a third."

Nyla lifted her chin. "You don't know what I can handle."

And then she was gone.

Alastor stared at the door, giving her a minute head start before silently trailing behind her.

He had followed her for an hour as she walked down the streets, at a seemingly leisurely pace. She eventually entered Lucifer's castle, which he found surprising. What would she want with him if he had already visited?

But he slipped inside when people were distracted by someone tripping over her dress and entered the castle. 

It appeared to be set up for a party. A ball, more accurately.

Suits and dresses were being worn, along with masks. The colour palate was red and black with splashes of white.

Alastor froze in the entryway, realizing it was a masquerade party and he didn't have a mask.

"You look bare."

He turned to see a woman with dark black hair standing there. She had sharp red eyes and slightly pointed teeth that caught on her lips as she spoke.