Chapter 2: Chevauchèes

Skyler's appearance

===================
.
.
.
.
.
As the first rays of dawn crept through the window, Skyler stirred from his slumber, blinking away the remnants of sleep. Rubbing his eyes, he sat up in bed, stretching his limbs as he took in his surroundings.

But as his gaze swept across the room, he froze in place, a jolt of fear coursing through him. There, in the corner of the room, stood Wilhelm, the German medic, his figure shrouded in the early morning light.

Skyler's heart pounded in his chest as he stared at the masked man, his mind racing with a thousand questions. Why was Wilhelm still standing there? Had he slept at all? And why did he seem so... menacing?

A shiver ran down Skyler's spine as he watched Wilhelm, his breath catching in his throat. Despite his best efforts to remain calm, he couldn't shake the feeling of unease that washed over him like a tidal wave.

"W-Wilhelm?" Skyler stammered, his voice trembling with apprehension. "Are you... alright?"

But Wilhelm remained silent, his gaze fixed on some unseen point in the distance. There was something unnerving about his stillness, his presence casting a pall over the room that seemed to suffocate Skyler with every passing moment.

Unable to bear the tension any longer, Skyler mustered his courage and spoke again, his voice barely above a whisper. "Wilhelm, what are you doing? Why are you still standing there?"

At the sound of Skyler's voice, Wilhelm snapped out of his reverie, turning to face him with a start. For a moment, there was a flicker of surprise in his eyes, as if he had been lost in thought and only just realized where he was.

"Apologies, mein Fühere," Wilhelm said, his voice tinged with regret. "I did not mean to startle you. I... I simply could not sleep."

Skyler's fear began to ebb slightly at Wilhelm's words, replaced by a sense of concern. "Is everything alright?" he asked tentatively, his eyes searching Wilhelm's masked face for any sign of distress.

But Wilhelm offered him a reassuring smile, his gaze warm behind the mask. "Yes, yes, everything is fine," he replied, his voice steady and reassuring. "I simply have a lot on my mind, that's all. But fear not, mein Fühere. I will not disturb your rest any longer."

With that, Wilhelm turned to leave the room, his footsteps echoing softly in the stillness of the morning. And as Skyler watched him go, a sense of relief washed over him, knowing that despite the mysteriousness of his companion, Wilhelm was still a friend he could trust.

Skyler's voice trembled slightly as he spoke up, mustering the courage to address Wilhelm directly.

"Wilhelm," he began, his tone firm but respectful. "I appreciate your concern, but... please, don't call me 'mein Fühere.' It makes me uncomfortable. I have a name, and I would prefer if you used it."