Chapter 5: Avalon

.
.
.
.
.
South

In the sky, to the south, a squadron of Curtiss F8C Helldivers and SPAD XIIIs soared through the sky, their engines roaring as they conducted a thorough scouting mission. The squadron, known as South Team, was tasked with exploring the southern regions surrounding the decaying city.

The pilots, skilled and vigilant, scanned the landscape below for any signs of movement or activity. From their vantage point in the sky, they could observe the remnants of once-bustling streets, now eerily silent and deserted.

As they flew in formation, the pilots communicated via radio, relaying their observations and coordinating their maneuvers. The South Team's mission was critical-it was essential to assess the surrounding area for potential threats and resources.

The biplanes glinted in the sunlight as they banked and turned, covering a wide swath of territory with their reconnaissance. Each pilot remained vigilant, ready to respond to any unexpected encounters or obstacles that might arise during their mission.

In the back seat of the Curtiss F8C Helldiver, the gunner skillfully operated a modern camera, capturing detailed images of the decaying city sprawling below. The camera, a sophisticated piece of equipment for its time, clicked and whirred as it recorded the landscape.

The gunner leaned over the side of the cockpit, focusing the camera's lens on key landmarks and areas of interest. The images captured from this vantage point would provide valuable reconnaissance data for the military camp established nearby.

As the Helldiver banked gently in the sky, the gunner adjusted the camera settings to capture different angles and perspectives of the city. Each photograph would contribute to a comprehensive visual record of the terrain, aiding in strategic planning and analysis for future operations.

Amidst the drone of the engine and the rush of wind, the gunner remained focused on the task at hand, ensuring that each photograph was clear and detailed. The valuable intelligence gathered from these aerial photographs would assist the military camp in understanding the layout and conditions of the surrounding area.

The pilot of the Curtiss F8C Helldiver turned to the gunner seated behind him and asked for his status over the radio.

"Gunner, how's everything looking back there?" the pilot inquired, his voice crackling through the headset.

The gunner, focused on his task of photographing the decaying city below, responded promptly. "All good, Captain. Getting clear shots of the city. No sign of trouble so far."

The pilot nodded in acknowledgment, adjusting the aircraft's heading slightly to maintain a steady course. "Roger that, Gunner. Keep me updated if you spot anything unusual."

With their roles clearly defined and communication channels open, the pilot and gunner continued their reconnaissance mission, gathering critical information for their comrades back at the military camp.

As they continued their journey, the pilot and gunner observed a long bridge in the distance, a sign that another city lay ahead. The bridge stretched across a wide river, its structure worn and weathered like much of the surrounding landscape.

The gunner zoomed in with his camera, capturing detailed images of the bridge and the city beyond. "Captain, looks like we've got a city up ahead," he relayed through their intercom.

The pilot adjusted their course, guiding the Curtiss F8C Helldiver towards the bridge. "Let's get a closer look. Keep your eyes peeled for any signs of activity."

The aircraft descended slightly as they approached the bridge, scanning the area for any movement or potential threats. Below them, the river flowed steadily, reflecting the overcast sky above.