chapter twenty-four

The drive back to L.A. was quiet, tense. Even though the ride up I had slept, the ride home I couldn't even think of sleeping. Mike said he would keep us up to date on Sam. So far we hadn't heard anything, which was a cause for concern but relieving simultaneously.

He can't get worse if we don't hear about it... Right?

Colby was silent, his eyes narrowed at the road. I had suggested to him that he could run home, and I'd take the car back. I knew how much hearing Sam was hurt was killing him. But he didn't want to leave me alone; not to mention running home would tire him out because of how far we were.

I could tell we were almost home, the bright lights of L.A. illuminating the streets. Colby's driving became more reckless. I trusted him and understood why he wanted to get there as fast as he could. But my heart sped up as we raced by familiar buildings. We were close now, and I felt like jumping out of my skin.

Part of me wanted to cry, part of me wanted to punch a wall. We tried to have a break from life and it came back at us full force. With vengeance.

We pulled into the parking lot of the Trapp Haus. I glanced at Colby, mumbling a 'go' to him, and he was gone in a flash.

I locked the car, running into the club and rushing up the first set of stairs. I gave a quick glance at Jake and Tara, who were behind the bar in the VIP section, talking to one another. Tara was comforting Jake, rubbing his back gently.

Mike and Kevin were in the office before the apartment, their voices low and muffled. As I passed by them, I exhaled. "Is he alright?"

They both looked up, their eyes dark. For a moment, I thought I saw Mike's eyes flashed red at the sight of me.

"Go look for yourself." Kevin grunted, anger clearly on his face.

Mike glared at me, staying silent.

I blinked, nodding my head and going up the stairs. They were upset, but why at me?

Maybe it was because they knew I was the reason for Sam getting hurt. If I hadn't come into their lives, none of them would gotten hurt. Their lives would be normal, ridden of drama and chaos.

As I stepped into the apartment, my heart ached at the sight of Sam. He laid on the couch, a bandage on his neck. He looked tired and bruised, and it was clear he was still in pain but not as bad as before.

Colby was kneeling at his side, holding his hand.

"Hey stranger. Why the long face?" Sam joked, his voice strained as he gazed at me.

I held in tears, shaking my head. "Nothing. You just look like shit, that's all."

"You really know how to make a guy feel good about himself, Jade." He smirked.

I shrugged, kneeling down next to Colby. "Well I gotta keep you humble. Don't want you to get big headed."

"Tell her what happened, Sam." Colby's voice was deep and serious, not enjoying our quips.

Sam cleared his throat, "Well, last night I was in the VIP section, drinking and hanging out with everyone. I stepped away to go to the bathroom and when I did... someone attacked me."

"Who was it?" I gasped.

"I'm not sure. The lights in the club were low and the person, the vampire, had a hood on. I never saw their face." Sam wrinkled his nose at the memory, "They did have a very sweet smelling perfume on though, so I'm inclined to think they were a girl. That, and the fact they were shorter than me. But again, I never saw their face."