chapter six

I squinted my eyes, looking around the bedroom slowly. The clock read 2:30 P.M., and the sun was shining bright through the window. I whined lowly as I sat up, gliding my legs out of my bed.

I barely remembered getting back to the apartment. I remembered Jake and I carrying each other up the stairs. Jake had crashed on the couch, and Sam never came back, deciding to hang with Katrina the rest of the night as we got drunk. Surprisingly my hangover wasn't too bad, just a light stinging.

I stood up slowly, feeling a little wobbly and dehydrated. I walked to the bedroom door and opened it, going into the living room and kitchen. As I turned the corner I was faced with Colby. He leaned against the counter coolly, scrolling through his phone. He didn't glance up when I walked in.

I rolled my eyes at his presence, stepping towards the fridge and opening it. I grabbed a water bottle and took a long gulp.

"You introduced Sam to Katrina?" Colby muttered, finally staring at me.

I placed the bottle on the counter and nodded my head. "Yeah. He said he liked her, so I figured I could be his wing man. Or woman."

"Kat's a vampire." He stated.

"Yep. And your point?" I gazed up at his face, puzzled.

"He shouldn't..." He trailed off.

I scoffed. "Date her? Hate to be the one to break this to you, but he can do whatever he wants."

"Her power manipulates emotions. He's probably not into her." Colby insisted.

"That's not what her power does. It's the after effect of it." I admitted.

"What?" He sighed.

I threw my hands up defensively. "That's what she told me."

"And you believed her?" Colby glared at me.

"Look, if she's lying, I'd be more concerned about the fact that Mike and Kevin are besties with her than Sam having a tiny crush. If you really don't trust her that much, why let her get that close to everyone?" I snapped.

Colby didn't reply. He stared at the ground and bit his lip in thought.

"Don't get pissy with me. I haven't done anything wrong and you already hate me." I grunted, starting to walk away.

"Jade wait." Colby called.

I stopped and turned back to him.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been as rude to you as I was the first night you were here. I highly doubt this is a situation you want to be in either. I've just been in a shitty mood. It's not your fault and I apologize." He confessed, his shoulders dropping.

"Okay..." I rested my hands on my hips, looking at the floor.

There was a silence that fell between us, teeter-tottering on awkward and peaceful.

Colby broke the silence bluntly. "You need to learn to fight."

"What?" I chuckled.

"You don't know how to fight or defend yourself against vampires. I remember how you were the first time I saw you. Jasper could have easily killed you and you did nothing to stop it." He recalled.

"Was I supposed to know how to fight off a vampire? Is there a class I can take?" I jeered.

"I can teach you. I mean, you kinda need to know. Especially since Cyrus is still after you." He reminded me.

"What did you find out about him?" I asked, leaning against the counter.

"Well, from some of the vamps I was able to talk to, Cyrus' last known place in downtown LA was recently demolished, so he hasn't been seen since then. He's probably laying low because he knows I'm after him." Colby speculated.