chapter two

Nights that I didn't have to work revolved around me lounging around in my apartment, watching movies, and eating copious amounts of stuffed-crust pizza.

But tonight was a change of pace.

I had been up all day trying to figure out what XPLR Services was. The paper X had dropped had no info on it, besides a number. Looking it up yielded no results. Searching for XPLR Services did nothing either.

How the fuck was he hiding it?

Unless...

"It's a vampire thing." I whispered.

A lot of the vampire world was completely hidden from humans. No one really knows how vampires came to be, or how they went about living their lives. Maybe this explains why XPLR was hidden.

I jumped up off my couch and got changed. Rushing out of my building, I knew exactly where I needed to go.

Trapp Haus.

Luckily tonight was the second 'Human and Vampire Night' there, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed in. I knew who I needed to talk to.

I walked down the alleyway behind the club, hearing the thumping music vibrate outside its walls. I banged on the back door four times.

A sliding piece of metal moved at the top of the door. A set of red eyes peered back at me.

"Password."

I rolled my eyes. "Kevin, you know me."

"Password, Jade. I don't make the rules." Kevin insisted, his eyes melting back into their regular brown color.

"You own this club, so technically you do." I sighed. "Fine... 'Let me in...Dad.'"

I could see Kevin's shiny white teeth through the darkness of the alleyway as he grinned. "Close enough."

Suddenly the metal part closed, and then the door swung open, enough space to allow me to walk in. I stepped inside, the music now twice as loud.

"Nice of you to show up finally. I've only been begging you to come to a human night for months now." Kevin stated, giving me a tight hug.

"Well, I'm only here because I need some help. You know I'm not a partier." I shrugged.

Kevin Langue was a tall, dark, and handsome man and one I had known for about a year and a half now. He was one of the only vampires I trust, mostly because I don't know many, but also because he's the most genuine out of all of them. He is kind, which you don't find that often in vampires. He came into Vampiro one night, and we became friends instantly. He's one of the few I feel I could tell about my 'abilities'.

I still haven't though.

"Help? What's wrong?" He walked me into the VIP section. We slid into a booth that overlooked the whole club. This was his booth, one that he sat in every night.

"Um, I know this is gonna sound weird. But I need your help. I found out about something, and I think it has to deal with vampires, because I can't find anything about it online." I replied.

"What is it?" He laughed, taking a sip of his drink.

"XPLR Services?" I asked.

Kevin froze for only a split second, gulping down his drink hard. He cleared his throat. "Nope. Never heard of it."

"Are you sure? Do you think there is someone here that might know?" I inquired.

He glanced around the club, trying to keep his eyes off me. "Maybe. I think there is someone here that might know. Stay here in the VIP. Enjoy yourself, though. Get a drink. It's on me."

Kevin stood up and left the booth, smiling as he went. Something about his smile was off though.

He was hiding something.

I ordered a vodka soda, sipping it slowly as I waited for Kevin to get back. My eyes scanned the whole club, but no Kevin was to be found. I grumbled to myself.

Maybe I shouldn't have come-

"Jade, I'd like you to meet someone," Kevin stated. "This is Mike."

I looked up at Kevin and Mike. Mike was dressed in a dark t-shirt and jeans, tattoos covering both his arms and hands. He had dirty blonde hair and mischievous eyes.

"Hi, nice to meet you Jade." Mike smirked.

I nodded. "Nice to meet you, Mike."

Kevin and Mike slid into the booth, both staring at me. Mike reached over and took my hand. "So you want to know about XPLR Services?"

"Yes." I agreed.

Mike closed his eyes softly, taking in a deep breath. Slowly, a neon pink aura appeared around him. It reached his hand, and he opened his eyes. They met mine instantly, pupils dilating.

"Why do you really want to know about XPLR Services?" He questioned, his voice deep.

An image came to my mind: he was 'forcing me' to tell the truth. That was his power.

I yanked my hand out of his, blurting out. "I was planning to tell the truth. You don't have to force me."

Shit...

Kevin and Mike's eyes widen. They glanced at each other quickly. I tried to step out of the booth, but they appeared in front of me suddenly. They both took my hands and ran me out of the booth and into an office at the speed of light. Slamming the door shut, Mike leaned against it.

"Holy shit, vampire speed is no joke. I think I feel faint." I groaned, hunched over.

"How do you know about his power? You've never met him before." Kevin responded, ignoring my illness.

"Did you tell her? That's the only way." Mike spoke, glaring at Kevin.

Kevin scoffed. "Bro, why would I tell her? That doesn't make-"

"I have abilities." I cut him off, finally recovering.

"What?" They both called out.

"I know what powers a vampire has. And... no vampire's power works on me." I admitted.

"How is that possible?" Mike stepped away from the door.

"I don't know, but it's how it's always been." I responded.

Kevin crossed his arms, gazing between me and Mike. "So, not a single vampire power works on you. None whatsoever?"

"None. Try yours out. I'll be able to tell what it is." I challenged, sighing.

Kevin shrugged. "Alright."

Kevin stared me down, a green aura materializing around him. I could feel what he wanted me to be: happy.

"You... manipulate emotions?" I guessed.

Kevin relaxed as his aura dispersed. "Wow. That's weird. Yeah, that's my power."

"And Mike's is to force people to tell the truth." I remarked.

Mike nodded his head. "How are you immune?"

"If I had an answer, I'd tell you." I chuckled.

Kevin and Mike strolled towards each other, turning their backs to me. I could tell they were mumbling to each other, low enough that I couldn't understand what they were saying.

"Look, I told you guys about my abilities. The nicest thing you could do for me is tell me what XPLR Services is." I ranted.

They stopped talking, turning back to me. After a pause, Mike smiled. "Why don't we show you?"

Mike strutted over to a door in the corner of the office, opening it. Behind the door was a set of stairs.

"Head on up." He ordered.

I squinted my eyes at him, giving him a weird look as I passed him and headed to the top of the stairs. At the end was another door.

I lightly grabbed the handle and turned it, opening the door.

"Who the hell are you?"