chapter ten

It's been a week since I last saw Colby, or really anyone from XPLR for that matter. All I've been doing is going to work, eating, and sleeping.

And also vampire proofing my house.

I've hidden stakes everywhere throughout, just in case Cyrus decided to show up. Plus, I carry around multiple vials of Angelica dust just in case.

I'm not fucking around this time.

I have been keeping in contact with Sam, though. I ask him every couple of days what's been happening with Cyrus; is he getting closer. So far, Cyrus has been on the decline, like he's almost gone underground, which I thought would be a good thing.

Turns out he might just be playing around with me. Or he caught up with XPLR who were still hunting him.

Sam told me to just keep living my life, go about like nothing is unusual.

It's hard to do that when it feels like at any second Cyrus could show up and kill me.

"Jade! I need five shots of tequila, stat please!" Ronnie yelled, waving her hand in front of my face.

I blinked a few times, finally getting out of my thoughts. "Yeah. Sure. Sorry."

"Where are you tonight? You've been really slow." Ronnie asked, leaning against the bar.

I had explained some of my problems to her, but not all. Mostly because how could I tell her a vampire was possibly hunting me down? Or that my blood might make vampires more powerful and I don't know why? Or the fact that Colby and Mike, two vampires I thought I could trust, almost killed me a week ago?

So... I kind of just lied.

"Colby was acting... weird last week and I'm honestly still confused about it." I mumbled, pouring the shots.

"Girl, move on from that loser vamp. You literally work at a vampire bar. You could find a new one in a second." She laughed, grabbing the tray and walking off.

I sighed. "Yeah... right."

~ \/ \/ ~

I was so ready to be home, the night feeling like it took even longer than usual to be over. As I walked up the stairs to my apartment, I clutched the stake that was holstered to my thigh. A new accessory I've had since last week.

I unlocked my apartment door quickly, slamming it shut and locking it again. I took a deep breath, relaxing for a second as I leaned my head against the door.

"Why are you so scared, Jade? Afraid a vampire might be around?" A voice called from behind me.

I spun around, my eyes landing on a man. Dark black hair and vibrant green eyes, I knew who it was instantly.

"Cyrus." I whispered.

He chuckled. "I thought you would forget what I looked like. I'm glad you didn't."

Cyrus stood up hastily, his eyes never leaving mine. He licked his lips, glancing over me slowly. "I took the liberty of getting rid of all your stakes. I don't think you really need them. Not after tonight anyway."

Shit.

"So, before I kill you, I gotta ask... why'd you kill my friend?" He questioned quietly.

I gulped, sliding my hand behind my back and clicking the button on my bracelet.

Dear God let them get here soon.

"He attacked me. What was I supposed to do?" I spit, trying to put up a front.

"Die, preferably." Cyrus shrugged.