chapter nine

After the Caleb incident, it was hard to get back to my regular life. Staying at the Trapp Haus became a nuisance: not being able to sleep between the hours of nine P.M. to two A.M., the constant cases Sam, Colby, and Jake would take caused them to really never be home, my job being far enough away that commuting was a bitch, and the fact that Kat was staying over more frequently since her and Sam had gotten together.

I wasn't sure why but Kat was extremely standoffish towards me. Ever since we both felt that spark or shock, it's like she's tried her best to stay clear of me, which is hard to do in such a small apartment.

Plus, I've been having dreams about her. In them, I see her using powers, but not the one she has. She's almost like a witch, casting spells and saving us. We're always fighting something, but I can never tell what it is. It's always just a black blur but it kills us off, one by one, leaving me last.

So... moving out of the Trapp Haus was probably the best decision for me.

After a week of not seeing everyone, I decided I had to go back. I needed to know what was happening with Cyrus. I hadn't seen or heard anything about him so I wondered if maybe he left, or disappeared for good.

As I entered the apartment, I saw Colby and Mike sitting on the couch. They both looked up at me, Colby standing up first. "Oh good. We were just talking about you."

"Don't you know when you speak of the devil, she appears?" Mike deadpanned.

I sent a glare towards Mike, turning my attention back to Colby. "What do we need to talk about?"

"Mike and I were talking, and we believe that you might be in danger." Colby's voice lowered.

"Like more danger than before?" I gasped.

Colby sighed, nodding his head. "Yes. There has been an overall spike of killings in the city, particularly in areas that Cyrus used to hang out in. The difference is... the bodies aren't drained."

"Couldn't that just be a regular killer than and not a vampire?" I questioned.

"It's highly unlikely. Mike checked out one of the cites earlier today and the body was torn to shreds." Colby remarked.

"Nothing a human could do," Mike hid a devilish smirk. "But a vampire... easily."

"So, it has to be Cyrus. Why though?" I crossed my arms uncomfortably.

"Vampires don't kill for the hell of it, and to waste that much blood would be stupid. So, most likely, he is putting himself into a bloodlust state. When a vampire barely feeds but keeps killing, he will begin to lose his mind. Once he picks a target and attacks, he'll be almost unstoppable." Mike informed.

I sputtered. "He's doing this because of me."

Colby moved closer to me. "He's getting ready to kill you. So that's why we gotta teach you how to defend yourself. How to fight."

I took a step back. "Wait, if Cyrus is getting ready to attack me, why hasn't he yet? I've been home for over a week."

Mike grinned, walking towards the apartment's front door. "Colby's been watching over you. Like an emo guardian angel."

My eyes widened, turning to Colby. "What?"

Colby glared at Mike quickly, clearing his throat. "I-um. Sam told me to. Besides, I don't really sleep at night anyway."

"Whatever you say brother." Mike responded, opening the door and starting down the stairs.

"Like... every night?" I whispered, glancing at Colby.