Chapter 4

Erza's POV
Jellal's been kinda distant lately. He continuously spaces out which isn't normal, even Meredy says so. She's noticed him space out too. Meredy tends to hang around with Freed and Jet but usually goes talk to Jellal every so often.

Whenever Jellal spaces out, he tends to just prop his head up with his elbow vertically up on the table. He would just stare at the wall and just nod randomly as if he were listening. Today, I was eating my 5th slice of strawberry and star mango cake (they are amazing!), when Jellal turned to me with a flushed face "what do you think of kids?" It just earned him a blank stare from me as I put a piece of the cake in my mouth, chewing whilst still looking at him, bewildered about where he plucked that question from.
"Uh..." I started as my ears went warm and I averted my eyes "they're... Alright I guess?" I said but it sounded more like a question.
"Would you ever want them?" My hand stopped halfway from putting another piece of cake in my mouth and the piece plopped down on the table. My mouth was half open.
"E-excuse me?" I raised my eyebrows "do you think I want a little thing coming out of my crotch?" I asked, my face red as I looked at him and the room went quiet. I think I spoke too loudly. Jellal didn't laugh and kept a straight face but was still red from asking. He was dead serious... "I don't know..." I mumbled

Jellal's POV
I've always wanted kids. I don't know why, maybe because I've always wanted a family which was brutally ripped away from me. Maybe because I want the responsibility of loving a child and being a father, I don't know. When I asked Erza if she wanted a kid, I was given a blank stare and an awkward comment from her which silenced everyone. My eyes glanced at Meredy who's eyes were wide as she stifled a laugh. She better not be having dirty thoughts!
"Why not? I mean, being able to love someone who will call you mum or being able to care for them. Give them the chance of a family which we didn't properly get." I think that last bit hurt Erza as she slammed down the fork and stood up. She swallowed hard and I caught a glimpse of her eyes glistening as she walked away. Way to go Fernandes. I sighed. Maybe having a family could be a bad idea. Nobody saw Erza get up and go since they started their conversations all over again after Cana threw a barrel of her alcohol at Bacchus, smirking as he fell off the table after having a drinking challenge.

Later that night, I crept into the Fairy Hills building with a cake and found Erza's room. I could hear muffled sounds from inside her room and sighed. I needed to apologise to her. After taking a deep breath, I raised my hand to knock on the door. When Erza opened the door, her eyes widened and she scowled. Her eyes were... Puffy...
"Erza I-" I started and she was about to slam the door on my face before I put my hand against the door, pushing it open. I was slightly stronger than her. "Please listen to me" I said softly and she fell down to the ground on her knees.
"Why did you have to mention that?" She asked, her voice shaking. I stepped in and hugged her after shutting the door
"I am so so sorry" I said softly as I inhaled the scent of her hair and closed my eyes "I didn't know" I whispered and I felt a tear on my neck. I let go of Erza and wiped the tears from her eyes "please understand, I really am sorry" she replied with a small nod and I kissed her on the top of her head, hugging her
"I'm not... Ready for a family yet" she said quietly and I smiled
"It's okay, I'll wait until you're ready then" I replied and we stayed like that for a little longer until Erza was her normal self again, eating the cake.