Chapter 22

Chris's POV:-

The finest thing that has ever occurred to me is football. 

The one thing that helps me decompress. The one thing I would sacrifice everything for.

Ian and I were these rebellious third grade students with the courage to take on eighth graders. 

So careless, huh?

Yet we're ambitious and vibrant.

The surge of adrenaline and the sense of accomplishment drove us to keep doing more.

The most influential person I could ever hope for is Ian, my brother.

But don't tell him.

In addition to being my friend, he is the only one who can read my mind without my having to say so. 

He may come off as haughty and distant, yet deep down, he's the softest.

For his parents, for me, and perhaps for this new person as well.

He believes that I don't see his altered behavior with that one person, but he couldn't be more mistaken.

I had a greater understanding of him than he did.

I just finished taking a shower with Daniel after practice.

Hey, not together. Not like that, guys

(A/N:- Eww. you guys think dirty.)

The coach seems really irate today. Man didn't let us leave until dropped dead on the field.

Maybe the dude got crap from his woman.

"So, how is your buddy doing? These days, I haven't seen him around." asks Daniel putting on his tshirt.

"Ian? He has some stuff to do. Why ask, though? For Ami, right?" He just snickered as we left the changing area together.

"Nope. Why would Ami be interested in knowing his whereabouts? She may not even like him; at least that's what I think." He shrugs and swirls his car keys, saying so.

However, I detect a tinge of glee in his words.

Hmm, something is cooking.

"Oh, please, come on. She likes him." I'm attempting to agitate him, but I'm not sure whether that's good for me.

Despite my attempt to seem nonchalant, I'm not sure if this would make Ami kill me or peel me alive.

That girl is insane.

Still, she's my kid. 

"Chris, you're nuts. I don't know their history, but I can tell they hate each other. Be not a fool for a guy."

As we make our way down the corridor to Ami's sculpture studio, he points out laughing at my delusions.

Even when he has a solid claim, why should I admit it?

My ship will sail, for sure.

"Don't tell me, Daniel. You're not aware of this. Remember how Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy became the most wonderful pair in the world?" Daniel is staring at me as if I'm talking gibberish.

I paused in my tracks, holding his shoulders with both my hands.

"Please don't tell me you don't know them."

Jesus Christ. There's no way this is true.

My eyes are ready to pop out of the sockets.

"Man, you can't be serious. We can't be buddies. Not after this. Oh My Gosh, screw you, dude. How come you're clueless about them? Have you not watched Pride and Prejudice?" He gives my outburst a rolling eye.