chapter 6

It was a weird sensation passing through the film that separated our worlds, like stepping through a very thin waterfall. A cool sensation passed over my skin like being naked in a breeze. At that thought I panicked and look down at my body, just to check I still had clothing on. Much to my relief I did. I chuckled to myself at my silly panic attack.

Edward released my hand instantly as if the contact repulsed him. I brushed off the hurt and looked up to see the rest of the Cullens standing in what I guessed was the hallway, although this gorgeous expanse was nothing like my hallway at home. Even the word hallway didn't seem to fit with it, grand foyer or atrium seemed better suited.

"I thought the mirror was in Edward's room?" I immediately wanted to kick myself at my stupid greeting. This was the first, and possibly the last, time I would meet these people, and the first thing I did was complain about where they put their mirrors.

"We thought the hallway was a better place to put it. If it's going to act as a portal we assumed Edward would get a little irritated at using his room as a walk through." This comment came from Carlisle, who had stepped forward with a woman with caramel coloured hair and an expression that caused you to immediately want to hug her.

"You must be Esme. I'm so thrilled to meet you, all of you. But then again Jasper can probably tell that already." I sent a quick glance in Jasper's direction to where he stood beside a girl with dark hair in a pixie cut. She was stunning, from what I could see of her. She was bouncing so fast she was almost vibrating.

Alice.

Just looking at her, I couldn't help the swell of excitement that burst in my chest. I was positively giddy.

Jasper's smile widened.

"It's nice to meet you too, Holly, but keep that emotion under control, darling, otherwise I'm gonna be skipping like a little girl." His Texan accent obvious was throughout his comment.

He gave me a wink, and I could feel a blush appear on my face. The image of Jasper skipping with a grin on his face flashed in my mind and I couldn't help but giggle.

"I'll try to keep it under wraps." I looked to the left of Jasper and Alice and saw a big man with large menacing muscles and a broad chest. This would have been a scary sight if it wasn't for his adorable face. His dark, short, curly hair just added to his charm and his dimples, I'm sure, could win over any girl. He caught me looking and a devious grin spread across his face.

"Like what you see, Holly?" He crossed his arms across his chest; pushing it out even further and making it look even broader than it already was. I took slow, measured steps towards him, pretending to look him over. He was trying to embarrass me, that much was obvious, but I wasn't going to be played that easily. I'd had years of practice with my Dad.

"Hmmm, I've seen better." I gave him a cheeky smile, and I heard a few chuckles from beside me. I looked towards Rosalie and even though she was glaring at Emmett, she was still extraordinarily beautiful. I felt myself becoming increasingly insignificant with every second in her presence. She wasn't looking at me; instead she was focussing on burning a hole through Emmett's head with her eyes. He was oblivious to her glare, or at least pretending to be.

"Hello Rosalie, I have to say the author didn't do you justice. You're so much more than stunning." I gave her a shy smile as her eyes passed over me.

I felt like I was sucking up to her, and although it wasn't my favourite thing to do, I knew it was necessary. I knew what she was like in the saga. I accepted that she wouldn't like me, but maybe I could get her to tolerate me whilst I was here, or at least not try to murder me.

To my surprise, her lips curved into a faint smile. "Thank you, Holly."

It wasn't much but a smile was a smile.