chapter 19

The waves rushed at the cliff bottoms. The high tide meant I couldn't go down to the cove. It was like the world was against me trying to think things through. Like it had other plans for me before I could settle my confused mind.

I made my way back home deflated that my special place was denied from me today; the one day I felt I really needed it.

I yearned for the feeling of restlessness to be erased. Ever since returning from the Cullen's house and my eventful talk with Alice I had done nothing but think of the peace that waited for me at the cove and now that I had left without experiencing it I felt desperate and irritated.

It was in this state that I caught the sight of Jack about twenty feet behind me.

His black hood may have covered his face, but I knew his walk. I had learned to recognise it after his bout of stalking me a while ago.

Seems stalker boy is back with a vengeance

I was almost home, one more turn and I'd be in my street.

My house was right in the middle so 100 metres to complete safety.

I took another glance behind me, he was closer. I could hear his footsteps quickening on the pavement. Ten feet away and I started to speed up.

Five feet, and I turned into my house, opening the gate in a hurry to be behind my front door.

I reached for the lock fumbling with my key to get it in. I could see the reflection of him standing at my gate in the window of the door.

"Got you running scared have I?" The ice in his voice made the hairs on my neck stand up.

I said nothing.

"You can't ignore me forever, Holly, soon you'll have no choice but to face me." I shut the door behind me, blocking him out.

I ran to the safest place I knew. My bedroom.

I gave in to the fear he instilled in me and hid. Curling up in my covers and hiding from everything.

Jack.

Edward

The decisions I had to make.
-----------------
I stayed in the house for a few days, still avoiding everything.

I felt like a damn captive in my own home. The idea that he could be out there waiting for me chilled my bones.

I had planned to tell my parents everything but I had been so wrapped up in my own world that I had forgotten they were visiting friends in Bath the other side of the country.

Like they did every year around their anniversary. I had rang them to make sure they were having a good time. When Mum asked me how things were at home I mentioned that Jack was bugging me but agreed to talk to them properly about it when they got back. It had just been for a couple of days. They'd be back tomorrow, I could hold off that long I had managed this far, it's not like it was life or death. I would survive without them.

I had made Ash stay at a friend's house; if I was going to deal with Jack I would not have her anywhere near. I had always been protective of her, even when we were younger. I could remember clearly the day she came back in tears after a boy had hurt her. That boy didn't walk straight for two days after I had a little talk with him and Ashleigh got an apology. It may have been cruel and petty but no matter what she does Ash would always be my little sister and because of that I would defend and fight for her any day, even the smallest of battles.

I took one last look in the mirror. I had become something that belong in a horror movie, dark circles round my eyes and lank hair hanging limp around my face. My skin looked sallow in the dim daylight, not the healthily happy glow it used to have. Ashleigh would be mortified if she saw me like this, she probably wouldn't let me leave the house for fear of her reputation. I smiled at this she was such a typical 15 year old thinking the world revolved around how popular you were, who was dating who, what you look like. I forgave her for it because I knew deep down she was capable of being such a strong independent person but until she worked out that high school wasn't everything I would endure the 'oh my god's' and nightly gossip topics.