The hard truth

Her hand was raised to knock on his office door when the voices echoing down the hallway.

"She's so weak" He growled.

"Give her time" a voice replies.

Michael and Arik were in the office in a heated argument.

Her heart pounds, and burns with pain in her chest.

She closes her eyes, and listening to their words.

"How can somebody who has issues shifting, and protecting herself ever be a good Luna?" Arik yells followed by a loud bang. She can only assume it was his fist hitting his desk so very hard.

The bang makes her jump and she bites her lip, tears threatening to pour from her eyes.

"She's your goddess given mate" Michael replies.

"The goddess knows what she's doing. You know it, but you're just too stubborn to accept it"

He adds quickly.

Taking a deep breath she calms her heart after hearing all of those heartbreaking words. She will be a good Luna. She’ll figure out how.

She'll train, she'll learn to fight, and

she'll learn to protect herself, and her pack. Anything for him.

Swallowing hard she blinks her eyes to hold the tears back.

Then, she knocks loudly as she pushes open the door.

"Hey, I thought you might want a snack" she says with a bright fake smile.

Carrying a plate of peanut butter cookies and milk over she sets them on the desk. Her hands shaking slightly locking eyes with him, then she gives him another fake smile.

He knows she heard them, and the silence between them only increases her broken heart.

Michael clears his throat behind her. She blinks slowly as a single tear sliding down her cheek as she turns quickly so Arik doesn't see it.

"Thank you, Cara. We could use a snack" Michael says softly as he is reaching for a cookie.

She nods to Michael whose face softens with a sign.

"Well, enjoy I have work to do."

Nine months later

Her fists slam in to the bag in front of her. Left jab, right jab, over and over again.

A few short quick breaths as she dancing around the punching bag her Gamma John holding it tight.

"Good job, Cara" he says rasing his hand for a high five.

Rolling her emerald green eyes she sighs.

"Not really, my left jab still needs a lot more work“ she mutters she pulling the velcro off her gloves, and tossing them into her work out bag next to them.

Flopping down next to the bag she grabs two bottles of water, and tosses one towards him.

For nine months she has been pushing her body to its limits learning everything she can to defend herself and her pack. Between constantly training her body to fight. She has also learned how to use weapons.

Her favorites are the daggers strapped to her thighs.

Between learning everything she can about being a Luna.

She's also training herself, or had help from her Gamma every single day to train her body.

John is wonderful trainer.