32: What have I done?

In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful

Thus it is not ever befitting for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter, to have for themselves a contrary choice in their affairs. For whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has truly strayed into clear misguidance (Q: 33 V: 36)

ZAYD

I opened my eyes, blinking slowly as I stared ahead through a blurry film. No sounds reached my ears at first, then I heard the whoosh of wind blowing, before feeling the cold air against my face.

What happened?

My vision finally cleared, and I looked down to see shards of glass all over me. Everything started to come back to me, the burst of pain that traveled down my right arm had the last few minutes flooding back into my brain.

Zahra angry and getting into the car, driving while out of focus.

The truck.

We were hit.

I sat up straight and panic set in. My head was throbbing painfully and dots surrounded my vision as I looked around the car. The windshield was shattered and glass was all over the car, I turned to my left and felt my heart drop when I saw Zahra slumped over the wheel.

Her eyes were closed, and her scarf was red with blood.

No.

"Zahra?"

No response.

"Zahra!", I yelled but she stayed still and silent.

This can't be happening.

"No no no", I muttered and tried to move from my seat, but I was held back by the seat belt. I pressed down on the release button but it didn't come out, it was stuck. I tugged and pulled at it frantically, ignoring my arm screaming in pain, it was probably broken but that was the least of my worries. I needed to get to Zahra.

"Sir, are you okay?", a voice asked from outside, I turned around to see a man peering inside, his face tight with concern, "are you hurt?"

"My sister!", I yelled at him, "she's bleeding! There's so much blood... help, she's not waking up", my body started to tremble, "get her out... please help her"

The man's gaze fell on her and his expression tightened, "I'll be right back", he said and walked away.

"Hey, where are you going?", I craned my neck and looked out, "you have to get her out... she's bleeding from her head!", it was dark outside, snowing. The streets were filled with cars and bystanders watching, and I thought I heard a cat meowing.

"Call 911!", someone yelled.

"Zahra", I turned back to my sister and tried to free myself from the seat, "hey, can you hear me? Wake up... please wake up"

She was deathly still, and it looked like the blood stain on her scarf was getting bigger and wider. Terror nearly crippled me, but I forced myself to be calm and raised my good arm towards her. I took her wrist and pressed my fingers down, and my breathing evened out a bit when I felt a pulse.

She was alive. Thank goodness.

I heard sirens in the distance and I turned to look outside again. The ambulances arrived, the flashing lights illuminating the streets, and my eyes fell to the pieces of broken glass and metal all over the highway. Two men appeared at my side and wrenched the door open, one of then cut the seat belt with a knife allowing me to stand up. As soon as I was free I scrambled out of the car and rushed to Zahra's side, I grabbed the door handle and tried to pull it open to no avail. It was smashed in, battered beyond repair, the whole car was wrecked.