79

Time was passing through the middle of winter. The day was clear, and there wasn’t a single cloud in the sky, as if all the snow that had to fall this year had already fallen. At the same time, The Actilus army was dispirited, which was quite an unusual occurrence.

Raniero looked down at the ground where the sand and gravel were exposed.

‘Should I have held out a little longer?”

He was left with unnecessary regrets.

Nonetheless, if he had held on longer, he would have likely lost many times the troops as he has now. It was impossible to cross into Sombinia, battling through the snow.

The snow that fell there probably hadn’t even melted by then.

‘Luckily, we seem to have escaped the heavy snowfall here.’

Thinking back to the sudden, raging snowstorm, he clenches his teeth.

Was a decade of preparation not enough?

Raniero, who returned without any results, was very displeased. It wasn’t just the lack of means but also because of the frostbite that afflicted some of his troops and exhaustion, which caused them to lose part of their strength in the Actilus army. The voice in his head, the one that used to stir interesting impulses, also became silent.

The anticipation of battle, the thrill of beheading enemies, and the journey of simply walking without any prospects had become unbearably dull.

At that time, suddenly, Angelica came to mind like a bolt of lightning.

Come to think of it, she was in the Countess Tocino’s estate. Since he had planned to stop by the estate after my expedition and bring her back to the imperial palace in the capital, he didn’t mind staying in Countess Tocino’s estate together for about three days. Perhaps Angelica would even explain in detail what she liked about the convalescent area.

Thinking about Angelica made him feel slightly better.

Raniero called the knight commander.

“We’ll split up here.”

It was a concise order, but the knight commander nodded without asking any questions. It was because he seemed to know where the Emperor was going.

“Well then, Your Majesty, I will see you in the Capital.”

Raniero didn’t offer a direct farewell and turned in the direction of Countess Tocino’s estate.

As the sound of the knights’ heavy chainmail faded into the distance, he felt a somewhat refreshing sensation. With no engagements with Sombinia, he returned earlier than planned. Angelica would be surprised at first, and then she would have to listen to all of his complaints. Since he was unable to wage war, he planned to torment her a lot… to make her say ‘I love you’ so many times.

He had forgotten in what voice she whispered those words of love.

It was quite regrettable. He might have to hear them until he gets tired of it. However, he wasn’t sure if he could ever tire of hearing those words.