80

Who would have thought that one could see a look of insecurity and denial of reality in the always arrogant and self-confident face of Raniero? It was Angelica’s doing, but Sylvia was delighted to know that her own touch was also present in that work.

Even though she tried to hold back her laughter, it kept bursting out.

Her life was dedicated to him. Her body and soul had been destined to belong to the man who would become emperor from the moment she was born.

She obeyed that life.

She became a strong, beautiful, and graceful woman. It was because she had achieved perfection to such an extent that her mother and brother couldn’t accept Raniero’s choice and planned something presumptuous.

In this way, Jacques’s fate was doomed to die.

As soon as she escaped their grasp, she fell into someone else’s hands as a toy. Her life belonged to others… and what was life to her was a plaything to others. The moment she realized this, she grew to despise this destiny intensely, and she hated the Emperor for playing with her life and then losing interest in it.

She hadn’t been striving all this time to live such a life.

Sylvia had no intention of being compensated in life. She also knew that no one could compensate her,  as the name Jacques and the subtle mockery would follow her throughout her life.

It was a permanent scar.

So, if she had to embrace wounds that couldn’t be healed, it was only fair to return an equal amount of hurt to the one who had caused those wounds.

‘…He toyed with me. Had a brief moment of enjoyment poking at me while I struggled.’

Sylvia looked up with a pale, beautiful face.

Now it’s your turn.

In the meanwhile, Raniero couldn’t take her words in. It was the first time he had ever experienced something bad happening to him outside of his awareness. The moment when she whispered her love to him wouldn’t leave his mind.

Angelica said she loved him.

There was no way she would leave behind the one she loved.

He constantly struggled to connect the Angelica in his mind with the current situation, trying to understand. At the same time, he ignored and forgot Sylvia’s words, ‘Because of how dreadful you are.’ It was because the moment he accepted them, it felt like he couldn’t bear it.

He smiled.

The corners of his lips lifted, so you could say he was smiling, but no one in the room thought that he was actually smiling.

“Hunt…”

Those words flowed from his mouth.