81

It appeared as though Raniero’s mood had improved on the outside, but on the inside, he was still speechless. Even with his self-brainwashing that what Angelica had done was amusing, an unshakable sense of anxiety and turmoil surged fiercely in his eyes.

Count and Countess Tocino couldn’t raise their heads in fear as they thought to themselves.

‘I wish Duchess Nerma would’ve come.’

Even though she did help the Count and Countess Tocino to apprehend Cisen and Sylvia, she didn’t show the level of enthusiasm they had hoped for when coming to the County.

It was about saving herself.

In the first place, Actilus was the epitome of ambition and cunning. The fundamental reason the Empress had escaped was the negligence of the Count and Countess Tocino, so there was no room for blaming the Duchess of Nerma for pulling out of the situation.

In the meanwhile, Raniero occupied the parlor, leaving the Count and Countess Tocino to cower in fear.

He called for Cisen.

Cisen entered the reception room with her hands tied behind her back and bit the tip of her tongue to keep from fainting from her fear. The man before her right now was far more terrifying than the day Angelica had left her seat to meet Eden.

Raniero asked.

“Where is she?”

She remained silent.

“Why didn’t she take you with her?”

Her response was still silence.

“If it wasn’t you, then who did she take?”

Her tightly sealed lips remained closed.

Seeing Raniero’s furrowed eyebrows tighten as he stood up from his seat, Cisen began to tremble noticeably.

“I heard you paid for your room and board with my wife’s belongings. I assume you were caught on purpose?”

As he rested his chin on her shoulder and whispered, he could clearly feel her arms twitch visibly in terror. It was as if a bug was being lured by the sweet voice. At the sound of his voice, she felt an enticement that felt like many-legged creatures crawling into her ear canal.

Cisen didn’t respond, but it didn’t matter to him. He didn’t expect an answer. All he needed was a piece of wood to listen to him, and Cisen was an excellent piece of wood in front of him. Her trembling and breathing provided clear clues. Even if she tried to maintain her composure, it wouldn’t be easy in front of him.

Deceiving him was extremely difficult.

As far as he knew, the only one who had ever managed to fool him was that dastardly little woman.