22

𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐞

"oh how i missed you!" summer wrapped her arms around me. "i missed you more," her fruity perfume flooded my nose. "come on, everyone is waiting for you!" "everyone?"

i walked into summers kitchen to see josh, nick and chris. matt no where to be seen.

i smiled and gave them both a quick hug. "hello josh," i said my arms still around nick. "hello," he put his arm around summer. i pulled away from nick. "can we go to the beach?" i cheered. "beach at 5pm?" chris chuckled. "yes!" "fine, matt can drive us," nick sighed. "matt?" "yeah he's here," nick pointed. i turned around to see matt walking down the stairs. i suddenly felt my heart pounding.

"hey," he cleared his throat. "hi," i muttered.

i hadn't spoken to him in what felt like weeks.

"okay let's get going!" summer broke the tension.
"i'm just going to get changed out of my plane fit,
i feel um-sweaty." i grabbed my suitcase from beside me. "i'll be in the car." matt announced.

i changed into jorts, a baby tee and of course my sambas. i grabbed my shoulder bag that had my phone, wallet and of course my favourite lip liner.

everyone was already in the car. i quickly walked down the stairs into the kitchen to find matt standing at the end of the stairs.

"sorry just let my phone- uh up stairs." he quickly walked passed me.

we all got into the car, waiting for matt.

"so how's college?" summer asked. i took a deep breath before answering. "college is good, my roommate kennedy is nice, she's rarely in our dorm so i have to myself which is nice," i leaned my head against the head rest. "what about the boys on your dads hockey teammmmmm!" summer teased.

matt got into the car. "well firstly my dad would kill them if they went near me, which i don't want any of them on that team trust me its bad," i looked at her. "what about that guy that you were telling me about?" the car suddenly got silenced as matt's seat belt clicked. i cleared my throat. "oh yeah," "that's kennedys boyfriends brother lucas, hes nice but im not looking for anything." i anxiously played with a piece of skin on my finger. "alrighty lets go to the beach people."

the beach was pretty quiet when we arrived.

"how much to swim in the ocean right now?" chris asked me. "anything, i missed the beach so much," i kicked the sand beneath my feet. "you should talk to matt," he looked at me. "why?" i furrowed my eyebrows. "cause there's obvious tension." he chuckled. "fine." i rolled my eyes.

i quickly paced up and walked beside matt who was walking alone.

"hey," i nearly whispered. "hi tate," he looked at me.
"so lucas eh?" he gave me a hurt smile. "there's no one matt," i sighed. "okay i believe you," he looked out infront of him. "how have you been?" "i've been okay, filming has distracted me i guess," i looked down at our hands dangling beside eachothers.
"that's good," i said under my breath. "how's your dad?" "oh so you suddenly love my dad now?" i nudged him jokingly. a small smile formed on his
face. "of course, we were best buddies," his smile got wider. it made my heart hurt, seeing him smile i stupidly missed it. "he's okay, i mean the team is keeping him busy, he complaints about them i think every day," summer and nick looked back at me and matt. i rolled my eyes as they began giggling like little kids. "im pretty sure our team will be the best, he's ever had," he shrugged his shoulders. "maybe," "listen about the airp-" matt got cut off my summer screaming my name. "tate, let's get in the water!!!!!" she squealed. "i would love to, but it's going to be freezing babe!" i yelled. "pleaseeeee." she ran up to me. "fine."