Part 13

You can feel the panic building up inside you as Van and Kathleen step into the packed bar

You can feel the panic building up inside you as Van and Kathleen step into the packed bar. What the fuck are they doing in here anyway? It's enough of a surprise to see Johnny drinking in this establishment, but to also witness Van bringing his fiancée in here on the same afternoon just seems like too much of a coincidence to be believed.

Van's leading the way, snaking through the crowd, scanning the room as he goes, heading purposefully for the bar. Kathleen moves along in his wake. She's being towed along by his outstretched hand, looking a little lost and very out of place.

You glance towards the door and then the toilets, chilling unease and a wicked kind of excitement jostling inside you. Should you make a dash for it before you get spotted? Or do you stay and wait to see what will unfold? Your indecision is so overwhelming that you almost zone out of the fact that Johnny's still caressing your leg. That's until his fingers trail dangerously close to the crease of your inner thigh and your legs snap shut automatically as you stiffen in your seat, sitting bolt upright, on high alert.

"What's up?" He leans in to whisper in your ear. "You seem a little tense all of a sudden. Something wrong?"

Your legs remain firmly clamped shut, his fingers still wedged between your thighs. You answer him without looking, eyes fixed straight ahead, trying to keep an eye on Van without making it obvious that you've even seen him. "Of course I'm tense. My professor's trying to finger me under the table in the Union bar. What do you expect?"

He chuckles softly, fingers flexing against the silk of your panties just above your sweet spot, tempting you to relax and let him work his magic, but you can't. Not now. Especially now that you can see Van looking over in your direction in your peripheral vision. It's bad enough that he's now noticed you sitting here with Johnny. He knows you well enough to work out that you two both occupying this unlikely space together definitely won't have been fully accidental. You can only imagine his reaction to finding out what's happening under the secrecy of the table. And what about you snooping on his private life and his girlfriend? The more you think about it the more your insides roil with nerves.

"I thought it might be because Professor McCann's just walked in..."

You feel yourself stiffen even more. You can't hide it but you try to act surprised. "Oh, he's here?" You turn to face Van's direction, the steely glare he's focussing right at you further exacerbating your anxiety which you try to hide with a sarcastic remark. "What is this, a bloody history professor's convention or something? Lecturers don't normally socialise in here. Did you invite him?"

Johnny laughs. "I didn't actually... although I had a feeling he might turn up when I mentioned some of his tutees were in here. I know he likes to keep an eye on his more... wayward students. Make sure they're not misbehaving too badly."

There's no mistaking the teasing tone in his voice and you turn to look at him then, see a mischievous glint in his eye. "Benji's not that bad," you say with a smirk.