୨ chapter sixteen ୧

Elena and I have been talking all the way to the ice cream shop

Elena and I have been talking all the way to the ice cream shop. She's been telling me about college and her photography degree. I've been talking to her about basketball and NYU sports program. It's been a nice chat. A weird one since we usually only talk to bicker with each other, but a nice one.

"What flavor do you want?" I ask her. "You can go sit in that table to save us a seat while I go get us the ice cream."

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Hm... I'm not really sure. I wanted to try salted caramel but I'm afraid I'll hate it so maybe I should stick with vanilla?"

"I'll get both and eat whichever you don't want."

I don't even really like ice cream to be completely honest. I just came here because I know that's what Elena likes to eat when she's down and considering the fact that we just discussed therapy, I thought it would be appropriate.

"You don't have to do that, really, I can just eat the vanilla one." she tries to stop me.

"I don't even really like ice cream, Elena, so it's fine. Every flavor is okay for me."

"Okay then, thank you Theo."

After ordering the ice cream I turn around to go meet Lena. Approaching the table, I can't shake the knot forming in my stomach as I see Elena engaged in a conversation with Oliver and Gigi.

"Shit." I say to myself.

Laughing nervously, Elena gives me a look that screams get out of here, now. I listen to her and try to leave quickly before any of them notices me.

Before I get to leave the shop, I hear a voice.

"Is that Theo?" crap. "Theo, come here!" Gigi yells.

Shit, now I need to go there.

"Oh my god, hey guys!" I say, nervously

"Theo? What a coincidence." Oli says.

He stands up and gives me a hug.

"For real, what a small city..." I say.

"It's not really small but-" Elena responds. "Nevermind"

"What are you doing here, man? I thought you didn't like ice cream." shit. shit. shit.

"I mean, I think I changed my mind..." I tell him. "Turns out it is not that bad."

He looks at me with a strange look on his face.

"I can see that... You went from hating it to grabbing two for yourself?!"

"Yeah, I know right? I'm weird, what can I say?"

"Really weird..." he agrees. "Anyways, we gotta go guys but I'll see you both later."

"Yeah, I should probably get going too..." I retort. "I've got a lot to do, look at the time..."

"Yeah, me too. I don't even think I'm hungry anymore, you know? Ice cream is so overrated. I'm gonna go do... get..." Elena struggles to find an excuse. "I just really gotta go... So, bye guys."