Chapter 20

"No way! I'm all about vintage stuff and postcards, constantly binge-watching junk journal tutorials on TikTok! Some are just plain silly, looking like a trash can and all kitschy, but some are legit awesome. I'm into old photos too – they're perfect for aesthetic mood boards. I couldn't even imagine you'd be into that too – you're so sporty and cool."

"I'm into crafting too! You know, Esther Howland Valentine cards and all that," I said, trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about, but honestly, I was bluffing. I was nowhere near what she was talking about, but who cared, as long as I could be with her. I shamefully learned about Esther Howland from Wikipedia yesterday and had never heard of her before.

"You like her style and cards too? She was cool – an artist and entrepreneur. You draw a little too, don't you?"

"How do you know?"

"Your Instagram, duh, silly little girl, we're following each other. Those are your sketches and mini comics, right?"

"Oh yeah, right," I nodded. I didn't even realize she followed me back. I was so focused on our chat that I didn't even notice the notifications. I just saw over a hundred missed messages from a bunch of strangers. Most were from our school, some with usernames. No one knew whom the queen followed, as my account only had nature pics and endless sketches, mostly in pencil. Only Heather knew my Insta, but she doesn't follow me anymore; maybe she did, but definitely under a different name. After about two years of running my IG, I barely had about 30 followers, none of whom I knew personally, just people who occasionally liked my art. And now there were tons of people! I couldn't believe it, all because Bianca followed me.

"Don't you believe me?" she asked.

"Ohhhh, nooooo, of course I believe you! I just didn't think someone like you would want to follow me back..."

"Aren't we besties, girl?" Bianca extended her arm, adorned with a bracelet sparkling with tiny red gems.

"Oh, look, I have the same one," I pretended to be surprised, and we touched bracelets, making a 'ding' sound as if toasting with champagne glasses.

"Cheeers! Hahaha" we both laughed.

"So, let's go?" Bianca asked.

"For lunch together?"

"No, to the postcard exhibition. It already opened, right?"

"Yeah, it opened yesterday at the city gallery, the one right past the square. But we still have two classes after lunch."

"Do we have to go?" the cheerleader inquired cunningly. I saw clearly a mischievous sparkle in her blue eyes.

"But how do we explain skipping?"

I didn't want to deal with my mom. She could turn a blind eye to many things, but when it came to studies, she was unwavering: education and career – that's what should drive a real woman forward.

Coming soon 🔜

More chapters on my personal Patreon page

New updates:

The cover belongs to ©treepipit

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher.
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved
© treepipit 2019-2024