126: The Moon (Part 2)

He Lisa had never thought before that life could be so difficult, to the point where even taking one more step forward felt impossible.

It had been a long time since she had seen the moon.

Since losing her sight, she had been living in a daze, with Xu Hanbin comforting her, promising to always be by her side. She had smiled and agreed, but beneath her calm exterior, her heart was filled with confusion and fear. Throughout her life, she had faced many challenges, often relying on sheer determination to push through, telling herself that each step forward would make things better. Unknowingly, she had overcome numerous obstacles.

But now, there was this one step she couldn't seem to take, and she didn't know how to cross it.

She was no longer Flying Phoenix General; she was just the ordinary Madam Xu, He Lisa. An ordinary woman who had suddenly lost her sight. Although her husband, Xu Hanbin, still treated her well, it felt like a superficial act, as if their relationship was just an illusion. She couldn't feel it.

On the evening of Qixi, she sat in her room, waiting late into the night, but Xu Hanbin didn't return. She initially thought he was busy with court matters, but the next day, she found out that on that day, Xu Hanbin had accompanied He Wanru to the temple fair. She sat down under the window, feeling her way to the spot, and listened quietly to the maids' gossip outside her room.

"Master and Madam had an argument yesterday, and it was so heated that even Old Master got wind of it. The master's mood is bad these days, and we servants are the ones suffering. All because of that woman in the Eastern Courtyard."

"I agree, the master is being too soft-hearted. Now that the lady of the Eastern Courtyard is blind, how can our Madam be a blind woman? It's an embarrassment. The Madam has been canceling her social engagements these days, just to avoid people's questions."

One of the maids couldn't bear to hear it and defended He Lisa, "Madam wasn't born blind; she became this way suddenly. That's already very pitiful."

"Pitiful? What's pitiful about her? Even if she's blind, she can stay in the mansion every day and be taken care of. At the very least, she won't lack food and clothing. How is she any different from those pampered pets? The one who's pitiful is our master. He's young and talented; he could find any kind of woman he wants. Why choose someone like her?"

"You're right! It's the master who's truly pitiable!"

These words had sharp hooks that pierced her heart, and she bled from the inside.

She sat in her room, waiting for Xu Hanbin to return. When he did, she said to him, "Let's separate."

Xu Hanbin was taken aback and asked gently, "Why would you say that?"

"Or perhaps you should divorce me," she didn't like to beat around the bush and spoke her mind. "I can't see anymore, and there's no need for me to burden you."

"We are husband and wife," Xu Hanbin held her hand and said, "Let's not mention these things. It's late; you should rest."

He changed the subject, but he didn't deny He Lisa's use of the word "burden."

He Lisa's heart sank further.

In the days that followed, she lived her life depending on others for everything. She often overheard the servants' secret ridicule, and even Old Madam Xu spoke to her with thinly veiled criticism.

Xu Hanbin continued to treat her with tenderness, but there was nothing beyond that.

He Lisa felt weary.

It was like she was walking down a pitch-black road with no one else around. She couldn't see any light ahead, and there was no retreat behind her. She didn't know when she would reach the end of this tormenting life.