Chapter 1

It has been seven years to Abe's rule as emperor. He has invited me to come over for his birthday. The alleged birthday date that saved the nocturnals from the attack of the zombies. The nocturnals celebrate it every year like it is mandated by the creator of the universe himself. It was both a pun and a day of remembrance. They didn't forget who they can trust. The platform was emptied for my safety. I waited as a private train arrived to take me to Central. I was all alone in the bullet train. The train cart was arranged to look like a luxury apartment. I arrived at my destination. An army of werewolves and vampires greeted me. They saluted me. I was escorted to the throne room where Abe was seated. He sat on a raised seat with the council members seating directly below him. On one side were the vampires and the other were werewolves. They made a path for me to follow. An elevator was waiting to take me upstairs. The glass elevator showed me the breathtaking view of all that I had helped to save. I felt a strong sense to defend the place from all evil like a mother would protects her baby. An army of werewolves and vampires were outside the elevator to greet me. They bowed to welcome me and turned to show me where I should be going. I walked till I reached the end of the corridor. A huge Oak door and a golden wolf holding a knocker. I grabbed the knocker and lightly tapped once. The door opened to let me in.

A human woman announced my arrival and Abe stepped down from his seat. I had come with a bouquet of roses. He accepted them with a smile. We hugged and talked about how the days had gone. He insisted that I stay in the palace for a few days to relax. He escorted me to my seat when a man announced the arrival of Soren and his wife Samantha. They spoke before they hugged me as well. They sat down and spoke about how peaceful these days have been. I made sure to mention that the creators of the zombies turning their attention towards us. Soren said that all the cities are ready to take them down.

I requested to place sensors far away from the cities. This way we could take them down before they arrive. Soren asked me how that would be possible. I asked for motion detectors be placed so if these come it would alert us. So if they managed to over take the defenses we will be ready to take them down. Those who are unable to fight can be sent to underground bunkers. Abe gave the orders to do it.

So the engineering department built motion sensor in the states beyond our borders. It was placed on top of roofs. On electric power lines. On wrecked cars, abandoned food trucks, refreshment stand, newspaper stands. On top of manhole covers. From the highest to the lowest we weren't taking any chances. The first line of defense when the sensor is activated would be drones. If they escaped that then the next to greet them would be nano bots. They are tiny robots that will eat whatever that goes to Tsar without permission. When it reaches anything liquid it goes boom. Next would be to spray corrosive chemical. Next were mine fields to stop any land based attacks. The land mines have magnets on them. So if they pass over them the magnet will attach to them and explode. We build trenches two hundred yards wide and a hundred yards deep to make sure that these people will have something to worry about. Then more magnetic mine fields. If they get past those the fighter planes would shoot the stragglers after which would be an army of tanks. After which would come the entire barrage of men and women. Nocturnals and humans.

Abe was impressed with the defense system. He awarded me with a beautiful crown in recognition of the passion I have for everyone's safety. There were celebration on all over. I found out that Abe wanted to name the entire place from Excalibur to Umbrella as a whole as The Citadel. He tried to do so but the council overruled him. They named it the entire place Tsar. It was approved by the other nocturnals too. They all said that the Citadel is a special place which should not disrespected.

I visited Excalibur and Umbrella to see that only warriors were residents there. Each level on the fortress denotes the rank. The less protected area is junior. The deeper and more protected area was for senior ranking. Mine and Soren's quarters were the most guarded. There is always an exercise or a type of training session or a change in shift or people coming from or going to the detention center. Everyone saluted me as I walked by. This was their way of showing respect. I smiled and waved at them.

I was ordered by Abe to come back to Central. An old electric train arrived to drop off Soren. He was charged with observing the repairs and expansion of Tsar. His train was sent to the shed for repairs. We were on the opposite side of the tracks. I smiled shyly as my bullet train arrived to take me to Central. I entered my transport and walked towards the window. Soren was still where he was. I waved at him and he smiled as he waved back. When the train went through the tunnel I sat down.

The train took me to Central at torpedo speed. Abe was waiting for me as were someone else. He was human and stared like I was a science experiment. I walked out looking at him suspiciously and Abe waved it off saying that he is leaving. The man waited for my train to go into the garage. He turned to me when Abe cleared his throat. The man raised his hands to say he means no harm. A normal subway train painted gray arrived indicating that it is going to and from Eventide. When the train came to a stop he was told by a stern faced Abe to embark it or he will be escorted out of Tsar. He got up leaning on crutches. I remembered when that was me. He kept staring at me as he got on board. When the train took off and I asked if he wanted a sample of my blood. Abe said, "He wanted everything. Eyeballs to entrails." One of the werewolves asked why he wasn't allowed to eat the idiot for suggesting such stupidity. Abe said that it is unnecessary. Besides if they had to eat every idiot for stupidity there would be no one left in Tsar. Just blacklist him and have someone keep an eye on him. Should he try something that would harm me. Take him off the streets and airdrop him into a bunch of zombies and watch them munch on him. The council was uncomfortable about the idea but the werewolves were not. They laughed at the idea and even imitated how people beg for help. I didn't think it was funny so I kept quiet.

Abe said that I was summoned because Abe felt I was in danger. He felt that I should stay here in Central until the threat has been removed. As I was being escorted to my quarters I extended my senses and listened to the conversation the handicap man had with a woman. They spoke of going beyond the border to extract some rare species of bats. He assumed that he could do gene therapy to fix his defects. She suggested that he should stick with humans since it is more compatible. He asked, "Where's the fun in that?"