56. The Swayamvara

Maharaj Drupad was pacing restlessly.

His gaze was fixed on the massive, intricately carved bow displayed at the center of the venue, the Kindhura bow.

This bow was a gift from Lord Shiva; it was imbued with celestial strength, designed with a single purpose in mind-to see his daughter marry Arjuna, the peerless archer among the Pandavas. The boon from Lord Shankara ensured that only Arjuna could wield it successfully.

But Arjuna was presumed dead. So now he needed to change the bow otherwise, his precious daughter's future could be ruined when no one would be able to lift the bow.

As he summoned his chief advisor to discuss the replacement of Kindhura, a familiar figure approached him.

"Maharaj Drupad," Krishna greeted, his voice calm yet carrying a weight that immediately commanded attention.

"Ah, Shri Krishna," Drupad responded, a slight relief in his voice at the sight of his wise ally. "I am glad you are here. I need counsel on a matter of great importance."

Krishna nodded, gesturing towards the bow. "I presume it concerns the Kindhura."

"Yes, you are astute as ever. I fear that holding on to the hope that Arjuna might yet compete is folly. He is gone, and with him, the hopes of a union blessed by Mahadev. I plan to replace Kindhura with a less formidable weapon, to ensure that the Swayamvar does not end in my daughter's dishonor."

"Maharaj Drupad, your fears are understandable. But might I suggest a different perspective? The plans of the divine are often hidden from us mortals. Perhaps there is more to the survival of your initial intent than you reckon."

Drupad sighed in a mixture of frustration and respect.

"Shri Krishna, you speak of faith when I am tasked with the practicality of a kingdom. What if no one can wield Kindhura? What then of Draupadi's swayamvar?"

"Maharaj Drupad, remember who you are and whom you wish to connect with your lineage," Krishna's voice was both soft and firm. "Changing the bow would not only dishonor the boon but also the very essence of the prophecy. Let the swayamvar proceed as planned. Have faith not just in the prophecies, but in the possibilities they entail."

King Drupad looked into Krishna's eyes, searching for the conviction that currently eluded him. Finally, he nodded slowly, the burden of his decision lightened by Krishna's unwavering faith.

"Very well, Shri Krishna. We shall proceed as planned. May Bholenath guide us rightly."

As Krishna bowed slightly in acknowledgment, a subtle smile played upon his lips-a smile of one who knows the turn of the tide even before it occurs.

"The day Draupadi gets married will be the dawn of a new era for the world."

*******

Draupadi paced the room, her movements betraying a nervous energy that even the most elaborate preparations couldn't quite mask.

Devashree gently grasped Draupadi's hand and pulled her to sit beside her on a plush cushion.

"You're pacing like a tiger in a cage, Draupadi," Devashree said with a gentle chuckle, trying to lighten the mood.

Draupadi gave a small, nervous smile.

"I feel more like a deer about to enter a lion's den, Devashree. What if none of the princes can complete the challenge? What if the one who does isn't... isn't right?" Her voice wavered slightly.

"Hey, I've seen the way you handle your court. You're no deer, Draupadi. You've got the heart of that tiger you mentioned." Devashree squeezed her hand reassuringly.