Chapter 7

We took a minute to enjoy and take pictures of the cake and then people sat down after getting their cake, it was time for speeches.

"Let me go ahead and get probably the saddest one out of the way" I overheard dad tell Jensen before taking the mic and walking ahead of everybody.

"Duke, my wonderful son-in-law. Your a good kid, your respectful and generous to those around you. You keep my daughter safe, and anyone who's important to you. I'm thankful that you came into our lives and even before adopting you, you still continued to treat our family like your own... and I'm grateful for that. You've gone through a lot, and so you need to be there for this family when I can't, I love you bud" dad said.

"I love you too, Colby" Duke threw up his hand.

"My beautiful Maddie, my first baby... we've had our moments, like any parent and child, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, your my daughter and I'm proud of the woman you've grown into these last 18 years. And even when I'm not here, I know you'll continue to make us smile up there. Im grateful to have been able to be here today to see this and celebrate but I think I need a drink now" he said and caused us to laugh.

Duke tossed him a beer from the cooler and dad sat next to me as I put my head on his shoulder.

Gunnar went up and smiled at us.

"Maddie, my big sister... your like, my biggest supporter in life which I thank you for. Your married, I have a brother-in-law now... even if it was sorta that way anyway. But just trust ill be waking you guys up on Christmas morning with Luxe like a toddler" he said and I laughed.

"Duke, my soccer buddy, my baseball buddy... even the time I broke my arm trying to do the iconic move of yours. You treat my sister right, and I think I speak for everyone here when I thank you for making her happy through everything, love you guys" he said and came over, kissing my cheek.

Elton walked over and looked at the sky.

"Im gonna try not to cry but no promises. Maddie, I remember the day your momma and daddy told us you were coming into the world... it was that damn scavenger hunt that made us all think Kat was pregnant. I knew I had my new prankster sidekick back in those days, and still do if your up for it. But uh, your my niece and I just want to say how proud I am that you both have achieved and accomplished so much. Duke, we aren't super close but your my nephew and I wouldn't want it either way... I wish you both a long, joyful marriage" he said and people nodded.

Elton had started tearing up and hugged up both before sitting down.

"Duke, my boy, my best friend for almost 13 years... your married brother" Josh said.

"Your married to your wife, your one love, the girl that saved our asses many more times than I can count. I have to say, when you two first became a thing, I doubted her ability to kick and score, with soccer and with you. But over the last couple years, I've learned she's one smart girl. She's got the strength mentally and physically to keep your whiny ass at home which I'm thankful for by the way. But congratulations to you both and will definitely be visiting from New York any chance I get" he pointed.

"Got it, now stop calling me whiny" Duke said.

A few more people went up and said a few words before we ended up turning music back on for around 20 minutes.

"I love that we have this going on, but can we please hurry up and get out of here?" I asked Duke.

"Of course baby, I'm ready to be on that beach" he smiled.

We were flying to the Bahamas for 2 weeks for our honeymoon.

Duke glanced at Jensen and spun his finger around signaling it was time to wrap it up.