To Stand or To Fall

May 2nd
Day Two

Forming of the story

Genre: Science Fiction
Theme: Survival, Power, & Justice

Story told by:
Aydin McMullen—1st person

To Stand or To Fall

Introduction:

|Rough Draft|

Sirens rung out as I climbed up the stairway. It was late and the dark made it hard for me to get anywhere without stumbling, nearly falling off.

Blue and red lights reflected on the metal wall as I climbed higher, almost at the top.

Water dripped down it missed me by inches. As soon as I got to the last step, I pulled my mask off, tucked it into my hoodie pocket and then slid my bedroom window up. I jumped inside and landed with a thud.

Catching myself against the wall, I quickly slid my shoes off and then ran over to my bed, fumbling for the remote. I turned on the TV, news reports

"Day Three of unrest in the city. Protesters have now violated laws and are being detained as we speak." A woman spoke into a mic, her face growing worried as   the camera fanned a group of people. They held up signs and shouted chants; I watched in shock, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"I did this." The words came out dry. I didn't want to admit it, but I somehow managed to get the drive and publish it for the world to see.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the little black drive. I rotated it in my hand and then hid it in the cotton of my sister's stuffed animal.

Suddenly, a thud came from down stairs. I sat the animal down and hurried towards the door, swinging out into the hall. I ran down the stairs and stumbled into the living room.

The lighting was dim, but it wasn't dark enough to hide the sight in front of me—my family: my mom, dad, younger brother and baby sister were all crowded on the couch, hands cuffed behind them.

"Aydin McMullen, we have very telling evidence that you were the one who snuck into the Governor's office." A woman stepped forward. "You took something of ours and we want it back."

I knew they'd come looking for it, I just didn't know it would be so soon. Damn cameras, they were everywhere—and the

"I don't know what your talking about." I said, shoving my hands into my pocket. "And my family has nothing to do with this, so I think you should let them go."

She crossed her arms and then looked at the men on either side of the couch. They were holding guns—was she really threatening them?

"You've already made a mess of things," she started, "and I can charge your family with obstruction of justice, for aiding a criminal. Or we can end this another way." She gestured towards the guns. "Resisting arrest doesn't usually end well."

I glanced at each one of them, one by one, taking in the distress in their eyes—how fear and concern dug deep and because I knew that this was all my fault, I had to own up to it.

"Fine, you can have it, but it won't change anything. Everyone already knows." I boasted.

"And that's why you're going to turn yourself in and then you're going to tell the people that you're just a petty little thief and the videos aren't real."