Chapter 29

⚠️ Scenes from the manga slightly altered, may contain spoilers ⚠️

Hitting, attacking, and dodging, dodging, attacking, dodging, and hitting again is the rhythm we maintain in groups of 3 or 5 against Sukuna, who continues with the halo of spheres above his head.

Interestingly, he hasn't made more than three turns.

We attack him in different ways, never the same groups of sorcerers to prevent Mahoraga from adapting. If it does... we're lost.

And it particularly unsettles me that he hasn't invoked Mahoraga again. Sukuna, still with Megumi Fushiguro's face, has managed to withstand some of our attacks, but we're not giving him any leeway.

He wears a self-satisfied smile on his face that I can't stand to see.

After kicking his side, I withdraw alongside Yuta, Higuruma, and Hakari. Satoru takes over with Kusakabe, Nanami, and Mei Mei.

Miwa and Momo have been tasked with taking care of Hana and the angel on top of a building a few blocks away, while we try to corner Sukuna before using the angel's 'Jacob's Ladder' again.

I exhale heavily as I watch Sukuna dodge Kusakabe's attack, Mei Mei covering Sukuna with her crows, and Nanami striking with a blunt sword. Satoru takes the opportunity and attacks with Black Flash.

Sukuna spits out an outrageous amount of blood, and at the same time, Mahoraga's halo falls to the ground with a loud sound.

My eyes widen as I see Mahoraga emerge from a black hole that has opened in the ground. Satoru backs off, but Mahoraga reaches him and injures him.

Nanami, Mei Mei, and Kusakabe step back; instead, Yuta takes the initiative by attacking Mahoraga with Rika.

Sukuna clasps his hands and aims them at Yuta, trying to apply penetrating blood to the young man.

"Don't move!" Toge's voice resonates and stops him in his tracks.

My gaze meets Yuji and Nobara's, the pair heading towards Sukuna, who, before being freed from Toge's cursed technique, is stabbed in the back by Maki.

I try to focus on the halo with spheres; if I turn it into something else... yes. If I turn it into something as insignificant as I did with the Gokumonkyo front door, maybe I can make Mahoraga disappear completely.

Choso, Hakari, and Noritoshi along with Higuruma support Yuta in attacking and striking the shikigami. The halo spins only once more.

Tsk. They can't be the same attacks... otherwise, it'll become immune.

I exhale and close my eyes.

"Y/n, what are you doing?" Satoru's voice distracts me. His hands travel to my arms and shake me slightly.

"Satoru..." I open my eyes. "I'm trying to alter the reality of the crown that Mahoraga wears."

"I think maybe then it'll disappear," I explain, but Satoru vehemently shakes his head.

"No, Y/n, don't do it," he pleads, his blue eyes intense on mine. "It's a cursed object as powerful as the Gokumonkyo. We don't know if it could harm your soul... and I couldn't bear to see you leave again," he confesses, and my heart skips a beat.

"Satoru..." I sigh. "I understand... I won't do it."

"Leave it to me, darling."

And before I can refute and say anything else, I hear the groans of Yuji and Nobara, who have fallen to the ground after a strong blow from Sukuna sent them in our direction.