CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

Zahara Fils-Aime

Zahara Fils-Aime

Tendai had made Grayson lose his confidence. Grayson left the cafeteria disappointed. I followed him.

"Grayson, don't listen to him?" I said. Grayson stopped moving. "Addie, I am trying my best to atone for my mistakes but no one will let me," he said.

Grayson, don't let Tendai make you feel less. Yes, you used to be a bully but not anymore. If anyone doesn't want to forgive you, let them be. It's their choice. At least, you got the chance to apologize before high school ended. Imagine if you hadn't. The guilt would tear you up.

Other students joined us in the corridor because the bell had rung to return to class.

"Please, leave me alone, Adessa Kamara," he said.

Grayson walked away. Janine found me rooted on spot thinking about him. He was acting up because of Tendai's words.

"Addie, which friend of Tendai raped Reina?" Janine asked.

Even though Grayson hadn't mentioned Reina's name, people already knew that she was Tendai's ex and that he had hurt her badly.

Janine, I can't say for now. His victims aren't ready to speak out yet.

"At least tell me, which classmate of ours was raped by Tendai's friend?" she persisted.

I can't reveal her identity. She should speak up when she is ready.

Eloise didn't complete the day, she left immediately after break to go see her therapist. She lied to the class teacher that she had a family emergency. Talking about rape had made her uneasy.

By class end, the news about Reina being raped was all over social media. The identity of her attacker was unknown. Those who had attended Eloise's party at her home hadn't figured out that it was Tyler even though they had seen Grayson beat him up. Tyler wasn't a student in our school. They didn't understand why he and Grayson had fought that day. Reina posted a statement to her Instagram in regards to the news of her rape.

Hey fam, I wanted to take a moment to address something very personal that has recently come to light. It's with a heavy heart that I share this, but I believe honesty and transparency are essential, especially in moments like these.

Before my journey into the spotlight began, I experienced a deeply traumatic event. It's painful to say, but I was a victim of sexual assault. The news of this has surfaced, and I know many of you may be shocked or saddened to hear it.

This revelation has been incredibly difficult for me to process, but I refuse to let it define me. I stand here today as a survivor, stronger and more determined than ever. I want to thank each and every one of you for your unwavering support and love throughout my career.

To anyone out there who has experienced something similar, please know that you are not alone. There is strength in speaking your truth, and there are resources and communities ready to support you.