𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑 : 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐈𝐬 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐞

˗ˏˋ꒰👓꒱

.˗ˏˋ꒰👓꒱

"Alright, class, pop quiz. I hope you've been hitting the books," Miss Mullbery announced as the students walked into the classroom.

"Shit," Steph muttered, and she and Milo entered the classroom. Milo, noticing Steph's distress, shoved her hands into her pockets and gave her a knowing look. "Let me guess, you forgot to study?" Milo asked.

Steph sighed, her shoulders slumping. "Well, I was up all late last night, and I couldn't freaking study," she confessed.

Milo smirked playfully. "You didn't want to anyway," she teased before making her way to her seat.

Steph rolled her eyes and made her way to the front of the class, choosing a seat near Peter Spankoffski, one of the smartest students in the school. 

She figured that sitting near him might come in handy during the quiz.

As Miss Mullbery began passing out the pop quiz, the classroom settled into a tense silence.

Once everyone began their quiz, Steph couldn't resist a moment of distraction.

She leaned over and whispered, "Hey! Hey, geek!" to Peter, who stopped what he was doing and turned to look at her.

"Me?" Peter asked, somewhat surprised.

Steph nodded and grinned. "Your name's Peter, right?"

Pete nodded in response. "Yeah," he said.

"Hi, Pete. We've been in classes together for a long time, haven't we?" Steph asked, trying to make a connection.

Pete paused to think for a moment. "Since the first grade," he confirmed.

"But I'm just realizing I've never introduced myself! I'm Stephanie," she introduced herself with a friendly tone.

Pete looked at her and then back at his quiz. "Lauter, the mayor's daughter. Yeah, I know," he replied, acknowledging her identity.

"Yeah, but my friends call me Steph. We're friends, aren't we, Pete?" Steph asked Peter, seeking to clarify their connection.

Pete hesitated for a moment before responding, "I don't know, are we?" He glanced around the classroom, then back at Steph.

Steph paused, considering their shared experiences. "Well, I wouldn't broadcast it to the entire school, but..." she trailed off thoughtfully.