Chapter 35: Safe

Mancini's POV
I got here a few minutes ago and as I walked up the driveway, I could notice that something is obviously wrong. It started with the SUV that has all doors open and another crashed into a tree. I counted two bodies and then noticed the door is open.

I came alone, no security. I want her to trust me. I want her to trust that I can keep her secret.

I can see a woman running down the driveway in a nightgown. I can see it's Kei. She looks frantic. She ran all the way to the bodies. She is trying to drag one of them.

It looks like she's alone. Who did this? Who shot these men?

"I wasn't sure whether to knock when I saw the door open." She jumped and grabbed a stick. "My, you are quite fond of pointing objects at me. The spade, remember? That was more threatening than a stick."

She looks scared. My pretty flower. She suddenly cast the stick aside and she ran to me.  I wrapped my arms around her quickly. I drew her trembling body close.

"There there dolcezza mia. It's over. It's over."

She's sobbing. I scooped her into my arms, walking towards the house. As soon as we got in, a little girl, Marcella I presume ran away quickly.

There are two dead men in the dining room. Both of them shot. I didn't fail to take note of the one whose pants are lowered and how Kei isn't looking.

I carried her upstairs. The little girl is peeking at us. She's standing behind a door, ready to close it.

"Marcella." I whispered. "It's okay bambina. You're safe now." She remained by the door, still scared. "Kei, your room?"

"Here." She pointed.

I brought her in and sat her on the bed. She covered her face and continued to cry.

"I don't know if you have noticed but you're hurt. You're bleeding. I need to tend to it. Okay?" She nodded. "Where is your first aid kit?"

"Downstairs bathroom. Mancini." She sank her nails into my wrist in a deathly grip. "Find Marcelle. He's hiding. Also check on the twins. The little ones. Marcella has them."

"Okay. I'll be right back."

I checked on Marcella first. She tried to close the door on me before running to stand in front of her sisters in a protective stance.

I have learned from experience that children find a grown up less threatening when you come down to their height. I went a step further to kneel and rest on my knees. I stretched my hand out s f opened my palm. "It's safe. I won't hurt you. I'm mommy's friend. You can trust me." She is still hesitant. She looks scared. "Are your sisters alright?"

She nodded.

"Can I make sure?" She took a moment before she nodded. She moved aside, allowing me to get close to the crib. They are amazingly asleep. They seem fine. "And you? Are you hurt?"

She shook her head.

"Where is your brother?"

She shrugged.

"I'll go look for him. Do you think he's inside or outside?"

"Outside." She answered. "I already checked inside but I'm afraid of you outside."

"Inside is safe my dear. You stay here with your sisters. I'll go find your brother." As soon as I got up she hugged my leg. She held on tightly and like her mom, she started crying. What happened here? I took a moment to sit down with her. "It's okay. It's okay."

I held her until she calmed down. Afterwards, she agreed to sit on the chair in the crib as I left to look for the boy. It's a big compound. He could be anywhere. Given the biting cold, definitely not outside. He just gave taken shelter.