Chapter 38: The Boss

Keira's POV
The sun's warm embrace streaming through the window, feels like being gently nudged into consciousness by a friendly hand. It's as if the world outside is inviting me to join its symphony of activity, yet there's still a lingering sense of tranquility from the deep rest I experienced in Mancini's arms.

The tenderness of his fingers is still quite vivid. My whole body is still burning from his touch, from the curious exploration of his lips and tongue.

I stretched my arm across the bed to where he spent the night. His scent still lingers on the pillow, the sheets creased from his dominant presence. I smiled fleetingly, my heart fondly recalling our night together.

I sat up, cautiously pulling the sheet over my naked body when someone knocked.

"Mom," it's Marcelle. He came in and looked away. "When do you think we can eat lunch?'

"Lunch?"

"It's 2 o'clock."

"Oh! Okay! Give me five minutes." He closed the door without looking at me.

As I got out of bed to carry out a rushed routine, I noticed a sheet of paper, neatly folded beside the lamp. A little black velvet box sits on it. I unfolded the note first.

Last night was almost a dream come true.
The tenderness of your embrace felt like sunshine after a long winter.
Your sweetness is to be savoured
until the next time I hold you in my arms.
I love you...
R.M

I opened the little box. I gasped at the sight of the ruby studs shaped in the form of hearts sitting on the velvet interior.

Mancini is quite thoughtful. He is romantic and mature. There are no childish games with him, no pettiness. If not for the mafia, if only he was Tom...

"Mom!" Marcelle shouted in a frustrated tone. "I'm hungry!"

He is right outside the door probably countingdown the five minutes I promised.

I wrapped a robe around myself and met him in the hallway. "Did you have breakfast?"

"Yeah. Mancini made us pancakes, sausages, bacon, tea and some fruity thing. He said we should save you some but we ate it."

I chuckled. He is sliding down the rail, a habit he and Marcella have. Marcella is also waiting for me, holding an empty plate.

"Did you tell him thank you?"

"Yes." He answered. "Is he going to be our dad?" He jumped off the railing.

"No. Nick is your dad."

"Then where is he? Why isn't he coming?" He questioned.

"He's not here because I don't want him here. Enough questions. Where are the twins?"

"Asleep." He answered. "Over there." He pointed at the living room rug. They have built some sort of fortress around the twins. I peeked to make sure they're fine. "Why were you saying yes so many times?"

"What now?" I froze with my cheeks burning up.

"Last night you kept on saying yes. Why?"

It was in response to everything Mancini was doing to me. I did know I was being loud.

"I was sleep talking."