Part 16

After scaring Eteled, you decided to scare Sam a bit too, maybe to get her to back off from Eteled. 

"I didn't expect Eteled to be here." You say, cryptically. Sam looks shocked by the sound of your voice. Your voice is corrupted, fluctuating with every syllable.

"Who was that?!" Sam asked, scared.

"You'll find out soon." You answer. Everything you say to her is confusing. You're creating more questions than answers intentionally.

Sam went back to the Mii channel, so you followed. You noticed that Eteled had his head down, probably crying.

"Eteled, I'm sorry." Sam apologized.

"It's fine, just please," Eteled paused, "don't do it again."

"I still don't really understand. Could you explain more about your backstory?" Sam asked. "If it's okay with you, of course.

"All right." Eteled said, then started to explain. "I was employed at Nintendo on December 8, 1998, when I was 22. I died on November 18, 2006, the day before the Wii's launch... and my 30th birthday."

"I'm so sorry Eteled." Sam quietly and sympathetically replied.

"It's not your fault, you don't need to apologize." Eteled responded. "Besides, I'd rather live in the Wii than live how I was before. I died while making this Mii. I went into a back office with the Wii, and I made myself as I wanted to look like if I was a Mii."

You were slightly upset about his revealing of more information to Sam, but you decide it was reasonable.

"You wanted to look like this? Why?" Sam questioned. Eteled looked slightly hurt for a second, insulted.

"It's just the way I like it." Eteled said before explaining his story further. "Anyway, I was electrocuted, and I died. A few moments later, I was reborn as the Mii I had made moments earlier."

"So your spirit is in this Wii?" Sam asked.

"Yes." Eteled responded, then whispered under his breath so only I could hear it. "How many times will I have to tell you my soul is in this Wii, gosh dang it." Then, he raised his volume back to normal. "Anyway, after a few days of living in the Mii Channel, I saw the delete icon. I was curious, and I deleted myself."

You realize he's lying just to cover for you, and you're grateful. He originally started in the hallway, but then you deleted him again, and that's how he knew how it felt before Kyle did it.

"I bet you didn't know what was going to happen." Sam said. 

"No. I didn't." Eteled said. "It was the biggest mistake I ever made." Eteled explained. He muttered under his breath again. "Other than murdering you, of course..." he raised his volume back, "Anyway, I was in the hallway, but this time it was empty. The pain was intense, but I managed to walk. I cried for help. I sat there until... I saw a portal appear in front of me. I went through, and I was taken to an earlier version of the hallway."

"What was the earlier version like?" Sam asked. 

"I can't say." Eteled said. "I'll tell you this... I was shocked. Both mentally and physically.

You knew what he meant by physically, but Sam didn't. She never will.

"Sam, I'm home!" Sam's mom called. 

"Sorry Eteled, I have to go." Sam turned off the Wii and left.

Eteled then walked over to you. "I did good, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, thanks for covering for me." You answered. "It's probably easier than explaining what happened to me anyway, and also better for her. She doesn't need to know you killed someone. She feels bad for you. She sees you as the victim, and you somewhat are, but you were a bad person before."

"You're right." Eteled agreed. Then, he got even closer to you and hugged you.

You savor the moment, but not for long.

Have you made a mistake?