Chapter 44: Mala Made Coffee!

"Bondita, don't worry. I have already made coffee for Anirudh Babu," Mala said as Bondita stepped inside the kitchen after freshening up as they had just returned home from the court.

Bondita looked at the mug on the counter. The coffee seemed nice.

"Uh... how did you... learn to make it?" she asked Mala, who smiled warmly.

"I can learn any cooking by seeing as I used to be a housewife in my previous marriage too. So I saw how you made the coffee and learned it," Mala informed her. "Isn't it nice? I am reducing your workload."

"But making coffee for my patibabu is never a workload for me," Bondita uttered, her heart disliking the fact that someone else did something only she would do for her husband.

"Still, I thought of helping you, Bondita," Mala urged. "I know how busy you are with work, so I wanted to do this." Even though she herself wanted to take the coffee to Anirudh, she knew it would mean overstepping soon. So she refrained from doing so.

Putting on a tight-lipped smile, Bondita took the mug. "Thank you for being so helpful and considerate, Mala," with that, she left the kitchen and made her way to the study.

Bihari and Koyeli were working in the kitchen too and heard everything.

"Koyeli," Bihari started, "Do you remember one time you made coffee and handed it to Barrister Babu when Bahuraniji was living here a few years back?"

Mala's ears perked up, listening to the conversation, which was Bihari's intention.

Koyeli nodded. "Yes. Barrister Babu got angry and threw the cup away. Bahuraniji was upset with him and she didn't make his coffee or take it to him. I was so scared at that sight."

"Exactly. Barrister Babu drank the coffee you made when Bahuraniji was in London, but now that she is back, I don't think he will drink coffee made by someone else ever," with that, Bihari continued working.

Color drained from Mala's face. Will her Anirudh Babu throw away the coffee she made with so much love? She wished not. However, her heart felt uneasy.

"Bihari, Koyeli, cook this sabzi. I will be back," with that, Mala made her way to the study. Luckily for her, the study door was a bit open so she could take a peek.

Meanwhile, Bondita was inside the study and handed the cup of coffee to Anirudh quietly. She wanted to say that she didn't make it, but she knew that Anirudh wouldn't drink then. She didn't wish to hurt Mala too since it was the first time Mala made coffee.

Anirudh took the cup and glanced at it. Then he kept it back on the table without taking a sip and motioned Bondita to sit on the chair in front, which he bought when he was seeing clients even at home.

"Look at this. I reviewed the document you wrote on polygamy. We cannot file a petition with this." He handed her the file. "I talked with a judge, who said it would be possible to file against polygamy only if you take permission from other women, who are actually going through this. We need their approval."

Bondita nodded, listening to him fully. "So how do we start?"

He sucked in a deep breath and let out, "Bondita, I want you to do this."

She furrowed her brows in confusion. "I will. That's why I am asking that how do w—" she was interrupted by him.

"You need to figure that out."

She was still confused until she pondered for a while and realized what he meant. "Oh. So you don't want to guide me? You won't be there with me?"

A small smile formed on his lips as he got up from his seat. He made his way to her and leaned on the table slightly, his arms crossing against his chest.

"Bondita, I will always be there for you. But this time, I want you to guide me. I will only follow your lead, that's it."

"But why is that?" she inquired curiously.

"Because I want to see how you deal with this. I want to see how you use your barrister mind here. Moreover, a woman fighting for women's rights is what this society needs. Me fighting for this won't bring as much impact as you fighting for polygamy will," he lovingly explained to her.

She nodded, understanding his words. "Okay, Patibabu. Watch your Bondita fight for women's rights."

"Oh, that will be the hottest thing ever," before Anirudh could realize, it already slipped off his tongue.

Bondita's eyes widened in response, utterly surprised.

"Uh... I mean..." he tried to find an excuse, but failed miserably as he scratched the back of his neck, slightly embarrassed.

Bondita chuckled, amusement lingering in her eyes. "I had a feeling that you... had a thing for independent women but..." she trailed off.

"It's just you, Bondita," he said, looking straight into her eyes, forgetting his embarrassment for a moment.

"I know, Patibabu," she mumbled gently, a tint of red appearing on her cheeks, getting shy.

Feeling his intense gaze over her, she tried to change the topic, saying, "Aapki coffee thandi horahi hai..."

"Hone doon. Nahi peena. Kaunsa tumne banaya hai," with that, he went back to sit on his chair, leaving an awestruck Bondita.

Seeing the stunned look on her face, Anirudh chuckled. "I can recognize the coffee you made even just by the look of it. Only you can make it with perfection."

"Woh..." she didn't know what to say. She really underestimated her patibabu. "Mala made it and I didn't want to make her feel bad so..."

"No need to explain, Bondita," Anirudh let out with a small smile playing on his lips. "However, you can make it up to me by making a cup of coffee for me, all by yourself."

Bondita also smiled at his words and nodded.

On the other hand, Mala, who heard everything, clenched her fist in anger. First of all, her Anirudh Babu didn't want to drink the coffee she made with so much love, and second of all, that Bondita wished to fight against polygamy — which might put her marriage with Keth at risk.

"I have to make sure Bondita's plan fails at any cost," Mala grumbled, her eyes darting toward the barrister couple in pure jealousy.

A/N: Next update when there's at least 25 comments. Thank you!