Chapter 45: At Chandni's House

Bondita, Anirudh, and Som stepped inside the Jaiswal house to meet Chandni. Batuk wished to accompany but he realized that his Chameli Boudi might need him if Mala Boudi did something evil. Because Batuk didn't trust Mala even a bit and he felt she was just a vamp in their lives.

"Areh, Barrister Babu. Please, come," said Mr. Jaswant Jaiswal, greeting him politely and turning to Som and Bondita. "Bondita Malkin, it's good to see you back."

Jaswant made them sit on the couch and Bondita scanned the house. Decorations were going on for the wedding, it seemed.

While scanning, her eyes landed on Som, whose eyes were also wandering around, but not in a sense of examining, as if he was looking for someone.

Bondita cleared her throat and asked in a slight playful tone, her voice only audible to Som, "Looking for someone, my dear devar?"

Som jumped out of his trance, his cheeks coloring. "No, no, I was just looking at the wedding decorations. They are very nice," he hurriedly explained.

"Oh, accha, aisi baat hain?" Bondita's tone still carried a teasing hint, making Som face away from his boudi.

"Boudi, please stop with that look," Som pleaded.

"What look? I am just looking at my adorable devar who is crushing on—"

"Jaswant Kaka, where is Pramita Kaki?" Som loudly asked in order to stop Bondita from poking him further.

"Pramita, see, Bondita Malkin is here," Jaswant called out to his wife, who rushed out of the kitchen with a big smile on her face.

"Bondita Beti!" Bondita finally stopped teasing Som and got up to go hug Pramita. "You came at the right time. Chandni needs you," she whispered to Bondita discreetly.

"I know, Kaki. That's why, I am here," she whispered back to Pramita, a hint of assurance in her voice.

"Pramita," hearing Jaswant, they broke apart from the hug, "Go and bring some snacks. The Zamindars are here at our house, after all."

Pramita nodded and dashed back to the kitchen.

"Uh... Where is Chandni, Jaswant Kaka?" Bondita inquired, looking around.

Jaswant put on a tight-lipped smile. "She must be in her room. Her exams just finished today, so the day after tomorrow is her wedding."

"That's great," Anirudh uttered, "Did Chandni agree for the wedding?"

Color drained from Jaswant's face. "Uh... what's there to take her consent? She agreed to get married after her education was completed."

"But Kaka," Som spoke up, "There is still higher education now for women and—"

"Just because your boudi got a degree doesn't mean every girl has to," Jaswant interrupted sharply, showing his disdain for the further discussion of this seemingly pointless matter. "Besides, I am not stopping Chandni to study further. If her husband approves of this after their wedding, then she can study."

"Kaka, you know that Chandni loves studying. You are financially well off too, so why are you marrying her off so early?" Bondita asked softly, trying to understand the psychology behind his actions.

"It's not early marriage, Bondita Malkin. Chandni turned seventeen last week, which is one year more than the legal age for girls now to get married as per the new law passed by Barrister Babu," Jaswant said sternly.

"But, K–" Bondita was interrupted by Anirudh.

"Bondita, go and meet Chandni. Congratulate her for her upcoming wedding, okay?"