Chapter 6: Ouija Boards & Tarot Cards

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Jaime's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Everyone sat in the Watchtower, not saying anything. "DNA results are matching Chloe's. That... that really was her." Nightwing finally speaks up as the DNA results from the piece of brown hair he had found on Superboy. There was a comparison picture. Chloe with her golden curls, sparkling blue eyes, and cheerful smile, and Chloe now, with her brown straight hair, dull blue eyes, and emotionless face. I thought of how she had looked at me. She didn't even recognize me. "How do we know that's not just a clone? There's-there's no way that that was Chloe." Gar said as he looked at the pictures of Chloe. "It's possible, but judging by the way Rebecca made it sound, it's really her." Artemis said.

"It is her. I still remember the exact day they dragged her in. Curls and everything." Hal said as he walked into the room, followed by John. "They broke her, every single day. They used this weird thing called the 'Manifestation Chair'. It was made to show people the present moments, but they can't do anything in it, kind of like a ghost. She watched you guys for months and months. She would cry everyday. It was horrible, and I couldn't even do anything." Hal said as he clenched his fists. "Then, they erased all her memories, every single one. She walked past me one time, and remembered a few things, but they erased her again, and installed some type of tech that controls her and keeps her memories wiped." Hal continued.

"Next, they trained her, and sent her on mission after mission, never giving her a break. They made her a killer. Months and months and months. There was nothing anyone could do." He said quietly. Nobody said anything. "So... she saw us this whole time?" Miss M finally said, and Hal nodded. I couldn't take this anymore. I stood up, and walked out, but no one stopped me. I walked myself down to the atrium. I looked at the large image of Chloe. Her cheerful smile, her beautiful laugh, all still present in my head. "What was she like?" I heard a voice behind me say, and I turned to see Traci. "She was amazing. Funny, friendly, talkative. She would've loved you." I said as she grabbed my hand. She smiled at the thought. "We can get her back, I promise you." She said as she planted a kiss on my cheek.

I smiled. I thought of all the promises I broke to Chloe, especially the one that put us in this current situation. "Jaime, can I talk to you, alone?" I hear M'gann say, and I turn to see her. Traci plants a kiss on my cheek, and then walks back towards the elevator. "She remembers you." M'gann says, and my head snaps towards her. "What?" I say, and she nods. "In a way. Her mindscape is scattered into millions of puzzle pieces. The first two she always put together are a golden and a blue one, which I assume represents you two. But they all keep getting destroyed by this thing. I have a feeling you're the only one who can bring her back." M'gann explains.

I stare at the ground. Chloe wanted to remember, but she couldn't. I took a deep breath. "We're going to get her back." I said as I looked up at her hologram. M'gann nodded in agreement. "I think we have to." She whispered.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

"So what's the plan?" I hear Cassie say as me and M'gann walk back into the room. "What do you mean?" Tim asks. "Y'know, to get Chloe back? We're just going to leave her like that?" Cassie says. "Well, obviously not, but what are we going to do? Chloe doesn't know anything about herself, and took us all out in under five minutes." Nightwing said. "I actually know where they're going." Hal said. Everyone turned to look at him. "Geez, no pressure there. Anyway, Rebecca was talking about some type of resource exchange gala...?" He said. "Hello, Megan! The Resource Gala in Gotham! It's when a bunch of rich business guys hold a big auction gala for trading resources and farmland. Of course, that's where they would go." Nightwing exclaims. "And you would know that because...?" Artemis asks.

"I, myself, have been a few times." Nightwing says proudly, and Artemis rolls her eyes. "So when is this 'resources gala'?" Superboy asks. "Two days. I was invited again, but I can only bring one, and I already said I'm bringing Babs." Nightwing says and the whole room groans. "We're going to have to buy tickets, for all of us?" Bart asks. "No, this is going to be a covert mission. Nightwing, Miss M., Superboy, KF, Blue, and Tigeress, I'm assigning you for this mission. Justice League ordered." Aquaman says, and we all nod. "So what are we supposed to do when we see either of them? Throw a ouija board, do an exorcism?" Bart asks. "Might as well throw in a few tarot cards while you're at it." Gar muttered.

"That part is up to you. Take the mission whatever way you want, but make sure it's covert. Meeting adjourned." Aquaman replied, and everyone began to pack up. "Oh, we're definitely buying suits and dresses." Nightwing said, and our whole group groaned.