Chapter Twenty-One

Apollo Diaz

"Declan, put me the fuck down." Axton kicked his foot into Declan's knee. "So help me god, I will make Aurora a widow before she even marries you!"

Declan threw Axton on the couch with ease, which would be shocking considering Axton was the tallest out of all of us–but much like Emery, Declan was far stronger than he looked. "I wish school didn't keep me busy so often–I miss pissing you off."

Axton gave him the finger as he pulled himself up. "Your girlfriend told us to make sure we play with you. So, maybe, I can dig a deep hole into Hell, and throw you in there instead."

Alaric dropped on the couch next to Axton while Declan fell on his other side. "Don't be so cynical, Ace. If you weren't so easy of a target, no one would target you." He pulled out his phone, glancing at the lit-up screen. "It's almost nine. How have I managed to leave Emery unattended for several hours? Oh, god. I bet they gave him caffeine. Well, I can kiss my sleep goodbye."

Declan shrugged. "Jason texted Aurora this morning and told her they needed to talk. I figure it probably has to do with the reason she broke down into tears after getting a call from Emery the other day?"

Every single one of us looked away–especially me. There was no fucking way Declan could even waterboard that information out of me. And considering it wasn't our story to tell, none of us were going to say anything. More than that, Jason wasn't even speaking to me right now.

Which was an entirely different story.

Declan scoffed playfully. "You three are as subtle as a fucking cactus. I wasn't asking what they spoke about, only confirmation."

All of us turned back to Declan as Axton said. "Oh, then, yeah. Probably." He put his hand over his heart. Dramatic as ever. "I became besties with him after only a few days. I will take your praise in the form of many compliments for my bravery."

Declan didn't look impressed. "You want me to compliment you for talking to another human?"

"Me. Declan. Me. I made friends with two humans. Two! In a three-month span! I have been very nice to Alaric's little volcanic, waterfall-lovin', ghost-kissing boyfriend. Jason...has things going on. It felt wrong being mean to him after I found out."

He patted Ace on the shoulder. "Great job, Axton. Super proud." He crossed his arms. "Well, then it seems Jason is right where he needs to be. As for me, I need to get back to campus. I have class in the morning. I've hit my quota on Axton-nonsense today."

"Fuck you too, lover boy," Axton said as he took out his phone and started typing. "I hope your girlfriend abandons you with only your left hand as company."

Declan pulled his keys from his pocket as he stood up. "And if she does, I suppose that's her choice. I will call one of you later."

We waved as Declan left, then sat on our phones without speaking a word to one another. I wasn't sure if I could face answering any questions they might have when I didn't have the answers to them right now. Jason started acting weird after everything that happened last night. He even crawled back over to his bed after he thought I'd fallen asleep, and that was my first indication he was possibly overthinking something.

I tried not to let my brain jump to conclusions, but all I could think of was that he regretted what happened between us last night. Everything we did, he seemed to enjoy it–until the heat died down. After we woke up, he snuck off to take another shower. He even sat on the floor of the bathroom to do his skin care unlike in between the hotel beds as he did last night.