Chapter Twenty-Six

Apollo Diaz

Emery squealed as he ripped the wrapping paper off another one of his gifts. "Axton, you got me..." He abandoned the box before he rushed into Axton's lap, hanging off him like a monkey. "You made me a custom Lego set! Of a waterfall!"

Axton groaned. "This is why I refused to do anything even remotely sentimental."

I glanced at the piled-high Lego boxes that Emery spent the last fifteen minutes opening. "You know, I thought Legos were Lark's thing. Why did we all buy Emery the Legos?"

Alaric was picking up the wrapping paper trail Emery left behind while Emery continued to dote on Axton. "I didn't buy him Legos, but he wanted to save my present for last." He tossed the wrapping paper into the massive trash bag. "Little Phantom. Come open my gift."

Emery hopped off Axton's lap and crawled over to his former place. "Yes, right! Sorry!" He took the present from Alaric, tearing off the wrapping paper. It took two seconds for Emery to burst into tears. Two. Seconds. "Alaric."

"We're all going." He pointed at the paper Emery took from the box. "And don't worry, I spoke to everyone about this. I asked them if it would be okay. Not a single one of them had a problem with making this our family vacation this summer."

Alaric approached us at the beginning of December and sat us down for a family meeting. He then explained that he'd never loved someone the way he loved Emery, and during our trip around North Carolina–Emery told Alaric his dream was to visit the Yellowstone volcano.

Every year, we went on a family vacation, and usually, we all worked together to come up with a spot. This year, however, Alaric changed the dynamic. Axton and I were onboard almost immediately. For us, it wasn't about the spot we went to–it was the memories we made. And if that meant having Emery make memories that he would cherish, then we were one hundred percent willing to go to Yellowstone.

Emery was the first person who truly pierced through Triple-A since Declan. And even then, Emery was somehow closer than Declan was.

Mama wanted to hear the whole presentation, but we knew by the smile on her face that she was ready to plan the vacation. She'd already made up her mind, but she didn't want Alaric's time to be wasted. After seeing everything–including the photos, I was more on board with the idea.

I blinked out of my thoughts when I saw Mama approaching Emery, and then sitting in front of him. "Sweetheart, I want you to know that you are part of this family. We are more than happy to visit Yellowstone this year. Next year, Jason can pick. You two brought light into this house when sometimes only darkness lingered. I couldn't have hand-picked someone better for Alaric than you."

"Mama." I sighed when Emery started crying even more. "Now look at what you did. Why did you have to be the most amazing mom on planet Earth?"

"Mama." Emery launched toward her, and Mom wrapped her arms around him. Then she dropped a kiss on the top of his head. "Thank you for loving them and for loving me, too."

Dad chuckled, sitting beside Mama before Emery launched into his arms, too. "Thank you, Mateo."

He patted his back. "Of course. Yeah, I'm having an Emery day."

"What is an Emery day?" I asked.

Alaric shook his head. "I don't know, but Emery told me to stop asking."

I shrugged before taking my phone out to check for a text message from Jason. He'd gone home yesterday after spending Christmas Eve with us. He wanted to make sure he spent time with his family today, and I completely understood. After he forgave me so quickly, I wasn't going to question any of his fucking moves.