Rocinante's Farewell

The Enchanted Forest: Nearly 50 Years Ago

The path through the forest was dark and eerily quiet. The only sounds she heard were her heartbeat echoing in her ears and the hooves of their horses racing passed the trees. She looked over her shoulder, breathing heavily with her arms wrapped tightly around his waist. The feeling of his cool, leather jacket against her flushed face was comforting despite her longing desire to wear her own. Emma returned her gaze back ahead as she felt their horse slowing to a trot.

"You should be safe here," said the young man on the horse next to them. His mare came to a halt and he dismounted with expert precision.

Killian pulled back on the reigns of their horse to bring her to a stop before swinging his leg around and jumping down from the saddle. He reached up and helped Emma to the ground while the young man held the reigns of both horses together and tied them to a nearby tree.

"There is a clearing just beyond that tree. You should be able to create the portal there without drawing any attention to yourselves," the man pointed, his gaze following his hand.

"We can't thank you enough for your help," she held her hand out to him which he gladly shook.

"It's no problem at all. I just have to be sure I get Rocinante back to the stable to rest. She has a big day tomorrow," he ran his hand down her neck and through her mane with a smile.

"She is quite impressive," Killian began. "And one of the most beautiful I've ever seen."

"Just like her owner," the young man said, his cheeks turning a discreet shade of pink.

Emma and Killian exchanged a quick glance at one another, catching the smile they displayed at the stable boy's comment.

"Good luck on your journey," he said, starting to untie the reigns from around the tree.

"Thank you again, um--" she paused, realizing she never asked his name.

"Daniel," he replied with a smile before starting to walk away.

Emma's eyes widened as she felt her heart skip a beat. It all made sense: the kind stable boy, the beautiful owner of the horse, the name Rocinante that she'd read in Henry's storybook so many times before... She reached out and grabbed Killian's arm.

"Swan, are you alright?"

"The stable boy," she said, releasing the breath she didn't realize she was holding in.

"I never would have guessed you were the type to fancy a stable boy over a pirate, love," he said with a cunning smirk to which Emma couldn't help, but roll her eyes.

"No, you idiot! That's Daniel. THE Daniel. As in Regina's First True Love Daniel," she said and watched as he processed her words.

"You mean, the same Daniel that's headed back to--" he stopped as he saw the same dread appear on her face that he knew reflected on his.

"No," he said, already aware of Emma's thoughts. "We can't, Swan. If we change the past, who knows what consequences we'll face when we return."

"We can't just let him die, Killian," she responded. They both rushed forward, shouting after the stable boy.

"Is everything alright," he asked, turning around as they breathlessly approached him.

"Daniel, you have to come back with us," Emma said, reaching for his hand. The boy laughed.

"As much as I'd love the adventure, I should be getting back to the stable. If Ms. Cora discovers I've allowed fugitives the use of her champion horses, she will kill me."

"Quite literally, mate," Killian said, stirring a confused expression from Daniel.

"Listen, we know you love Regina and want to return to her, but you're not safe," Emma said.

"How do you know her name? I was certain not to mention--"

"She's a... friend," she said, unsure if it was the truth. "Look, if you return to the stable, she won't be able to protect you from her mother."

"Her mother is cruel, but she's not evil. She wouldn't harm me," Daniel said, uncertainty clear in his voice.

"Sometimes evil doesn't always look evil. It could be staring us right in the face and we'd never bat in eye," she explained, gaining his full attention. "It's your choice. You could come with us and be reunited with the woman you love or you can run back to her in the stable and kiss her for the last time. Because it will be the last time, Daniel."

"Aye. Cora will kill you the minute she discovers your relationship with her daughter. Listen to us, mate," Killian added.

"Regina will be heartbroken," he said almost inaudibly. Emma saw the hurt in his eyes and took his hand.

"It's better for her to be heartbroken now, but relieved to discover you're alive than to watch you die in her arms."

Silence enveloped them as they stood in the darkness of the forest. Daniel looked into Rocinante's eyes and pressed his forehead to her face. He felt tears forming as he placed a gentle kiss on her nose and ran his fingers through her mane.

"Bring that kiss to her, Rocinante. And keep her safe," he whispered and the horse huffed in response. He slapped both horses to set them off into a gallop toward the stable. He took a deep breath and watched until they were out of sight before turning to the blonde and the pirate as a portal opened before their eyes.