Torn

Her steps were quick, her body trying desperately to keep up with her racing mind. Regina was so caught up in her thoughts, she hadn't realized she'd arrived at the entrance to her vault.

With a wave of her hand, the protection spell surrounding it was let down and she stepped toward her father's casket. She pushed it forward and descended the staircase, following the hallway to the room where she kept her magical possessions.

She sat at the end of her trunk facing the mirror hanging on the back wall. She stared at her reflection, wiping the tears and running mascara from her cheeks before taking a deep breath. She stayed in this state for quite a while, wondering when she had become so tired and how she hadn't noticed it before.

Her thoughts ran wild. In that moment, nothing seemed to make sense to her. Why did Daniel come to Storybrooke? How was he alive, but the past unchanged? What would Robin do now that Daniel was back in her life?

Regina was anything, but naïve. She knew the only way for this to be settled was for her to make a choice. She also knew, however, that no matter what she decided, someone she loved would be devastated.

She waved her hand in front of the mirror and a vivid memory displayed itself before her eyes. If she was going to have to choose between the Outlaw and the Stable boy, she needed to see what it was about them that she fell in love with.

"Are you sure you're allowed to be here? The last thing I want is for your mother to-"

"Would you just relax? Where's your sense of spontaneity, Stable boy?" Regina dismounted Rocinante and tied her to a tree while Daniel did the same with his mare.

"I have a name you know," he said following her to the top of the hill. Regina looked over her shoulder at him with a smirk before wrapping her arm around the single tree before her and leaning her body against it. She looked out over the town and widened her eyes trying to take in all the surrounding beauty. She dropped to the ground, her back resting comfortably against the base of the tree.

Daniel remained still, observing her every move. He was taken with her beauty the same way she seemed to be drawn to nature at that current moment. Feeling his gaze on her, she looked up with a smile. It was innocent and she reminded him of a sweet child when she gestured for him to sit beside her.

"Yes, Your Majesty," he laughed, sliding down the tree to the spot next to her. She rolled her eyes and pushed him playfully, neither one taking notice of the way their legs naturally intertwined.

"I can't believe I've never been to this side of the property before," she said with a sigh, leaning back further to place her head on his shoulder. "It's beautiful."

"Just wait," he whispered, taking her hand in his. When the sun was completely down, it only took a few seconds for the fireflies to light up the sky. "If you lay on your back, you get a better view."

Regina pushed her body forward so she could rest her head back on the grass. Daniel did the same and pulled her close to him as they looked up to the sky together. She covered her mouth with a gasp as she witnessed the lightning bugs dancing above their heads.

"Daniel, I've never seen anything so spectacular in my entire life," she whispered to him with the same innocence from before.

"I have," he replied and she turned her head to see that he was looking at her as he spoke. She felt her face flush and knew he noticed when he ran his fingers along her cheekbone. "I love you, Regina."

Her heart skipped a beat, but their eyes remained fixed on one another as she processed his confession. Never before had anything created a sense of happiness and wonder in her life until she met the stable boy. She sighed and pressed her forehead against his with a smile spread from ear to ear. "I love you, Daniel."

Their lips met in a soft kiss, the kind often shared by young lovers. It grew into something much more passionate that night and caught them both by surprise.

"I would like nothing more than to make love to you right now," he whispered, his lips brushing up against her ear lobe. His hot breath against her flesh sent vibrations throughout her body and before she could process what she was doing, she responded.

"Give me your love, Daniel," she whispered back to him, lifting her chin ever-so-slightly in response to the sensation of his lips near her neck.

The young couple gave themselves to one another that night, the fireflies dancing above them as they were bound together in a dance of their own.

"You really loved him."

Regina jumped up, wiping any remaining tears from her face when she heard the familiar voice speaking from behind her.

"How did you get in here," she said, clearly displeased with the interruption.

"You taught me the protection spell, remember," Emma said, avoiding the brunette's gaze. She'd seen her heartbroken in the past and even remembered what it felt like to be in this position with Killian and Neal, but this was a different Regina. She was vulnerable and Emma wasn't sure she could handle seeing her like that.

"That doesn't give you an open invitation to waltz into my vault whenever it pleases you, Ms. Swan," she shot back, the mask hiding her indecision and vulnerability carefully replaced.

"Trust me, seeing you like this doesn't please me," the blonde said and Regina looked up at her, shocked that she cared even a little for her. "Plus, I've never been one to waltz anywhere."

The women stared at one another for a brief second, an uncomfortable silence filling the air as they were treading in dangerous waters.

"I appreciate your concern, but I'd prefer to be alone," Regina's tone was strong, but not intimidating or cruel. She returned to her seated position on the trunk, a gesture she hoped the Savior would pick up on and simply leave.

Of course, that just wasn't Emma's way. She approached the brunette and sat across from her. Regina released an agitated sigh.

"I'm sorry," Emma said with pure sincerity in her voice causing Regina to look up, unsure if she heard the blonde correctly. Her dark brown eyes met green ones that were filled with heartache of her own.

"Losing Neal was the worst pain I ever felt in my life. I finally understood what it was like to lose the person you love. So when I met Daniel in the Enchanted Forest and realized who he was-" she paused briefly, trying to gather her thoughts. "Regina, I couldn't let him go back knowing he would die. Knowing the pain you've been feeling for nearly 50 years. I didn't think of the consequences of bringing him back here. So I'm sorry."

"You think I'm upset that Daniel is alive? Emma, I couldn't be more grateful to you for saving him. I just don't understand how it's possible. Nothing in time has changed. I remember holding his lifeless body in my arms as if it were yesterday yet just hours ago he held me, spoke to me like it never happened."

Emma pressed her hands together picking at the cuticle of her thumb, a nervous habit that Regina immediately picked up on.

"You know something, don't you? There's something you're not telling me," Regina straightened her spine, narrowing her eyes at the blonde.

"I was confused about that too so I took a walk over to Gold's shop," her tone dropped nearly to a whisper, afraid to continue. Regina stared at her with intense eyes, urging Emma to continue and with a deep breath, she did. "Cora tricked you. She knew Daniel had run off, but that you would never stop looking for him. So she used a disguising spell on a peasant boy so you would believe he was dead all these years."

Regina's breath caught in her throat, the tightening feeling causing tears to well up in her eyes.

"Regina, I'm so sorry," Emma said again.

"Go," the brunette whispered, her eyes glued to the floor in horror and disbelief.

She nodded and stood up, making her way to the hallway. She stopped in the doorframe and turned as she swore she heard a faint whisper from Regina that sounded a lot like, "Thank you, Emma." When she heard nothing more she shook her head, sure she had imagined it. What she would never learn is that is exactly what Regina said before placing her head in her hands.