A Bright Future

Her heart was pounding so loudly against her chest she could hear it in her ears. The smile across her face went unhidden as she urged Goliath forward. He ran fast, jumping every obstacle the forest provided with ease.

Regina knew the Merry Men's camp was not far from the stables. She'd met Robin there many times before when she finished riding and the route there was etched into her memory. She couldn't wait to see him: green leather jacket, golden brown locks messy from camping, his soft blue eyes twinkling at the sight of her.

"Come on Goliath," she said as she clicked her heels into his belly once more and rubbed his neck in reassurance. The horse forged on, matching Regina's excitement to reach their destination.

The sounds of arrows souring through the air just before striking a target hanging from the trees grew louder. They were close. She leaned her body forward, her chest resting against the neck of her steed. She heard the deep voices of men telling tales of their adventures and laughing together as they drank.

"Woah," she said softly, pulling back on Goliath's mane to signal him to slow to a trot before stopping completely just outside the camp. She had him saddled for this ride so she could tie him to a tree while she searched for the outlaw.

"I'll be back soon, boy. Be good," she smiled and conjured another carrot for her companion. She took a deep breath in, allowing her heavy breathing to steady before taking long strides to a group of tents. She spotted Robin's closest friend, Little John, dancing around with Roland laughing atop his shoulders.

With the small boy in sight she knew the thief couldn't be far. She took smaller steps forward, slowing her pace as her eyes scanned the camp. That's when she spotted him. He sat profile to her atop a log near his tent, his elbow leaning on his thigh with his chin resting gently on his hand. He stared straight ahead, a somber expression imprinted on his usually alert, yet gentle face.

Regina's heart skipped a beat when his gaze followed the sound of a twig breaking beneath her boot to find her approaching him. His face changed immediately, the light and natural hopefulness returning to his features. He stood from his log and stepped forward wanting to close the distance between them.

"Regina," he said softly. She smiled hearing him say her name. It rolled so beautifully off his lips, his English voice accentuating the beauty in it. The sparkle in her eyes was so bright she could practically see it reflecting in his own.

"Hi," she whispered, her cheeks flushed from the adrenaline coursing through her veins. He smiled at the sound of her voice, her heart fluttering when she saw his dimples deepen beneath his scruff.

"Hi," he responded, just pleased to be in her presence.

"I'm getting a dog," she blurted out. Robin's face expressed confusion and she laughed realizing she should probably explain. "For Christmas. I'm going to adopt a Dalmatian puppy, one of Pongo's pups actually, and give it to the boys on Christmas morning."

"I'm sure they will be absolutely thrilled," he smiled, obviously not understanding what she was implying. She sighed and released a soft chuckle in response to his oblivious nature.

"Robin, I'm trying to tell you something here." He furrowed his brow and gestured for her to further explain. "I want Roland and Henry to wake up on Christmas morning to a puppy from both of us. I want ice cream dates and snow ball fights with our children. I want you to teach them to be honorable and I want to watch you help them through puberty. I want to hold your hand at their graduations and weddings while you comfort me through having to let them grow up.

But most of all, I want to fall asleep in your arms and wake up the exact same way everyday. I want to look into your eyes and get lost in them for the rest of my life. I want to feel your lips against mine knowing I'm the only woman who gets to taste you. I want to fight with you when you leave the toilet seat up or curse at you when I bang my knee on the cabinet door you left open from the night before. I want to make love to you and only you on every square inch of this town. I want laughter and adventure and frustration and fatigue and even sorrow if it means I will be experiencing it all with you."

"So what you're saying is..." He trailed off with a knowing smirk growing across his face as he stepped closer to her.

"So what I'm saying is," she took a deep breath and released it in an audible sigh as she wrapped her arms around his neck and stood on the tips of her toes. "I choose you, Robin. I want you."

He wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her off the ground. Her hold on his neck grew tense as she pressed her body closer to his, both smiling in their embrace. His forehead rested against hers as he placed her gently back on the ground.

Their eyes met in a passionate yet gentle gaze before Regina slammed her lips against his. He matched her kiss with the same intensity, the thrill of having her so close to him overwhelming his senses. This is what he wanted for the rest of his life.

"I hope you don't mind my asking, but what made you decide," he asked as he separated their kiss, his voice was smooth against her eardrums.

"No matter where I am or who I'm with, when I think of you I know I'm home. And all I've ever wanted was to go home. So that's exactly what I did. I came home."

THE END.

I hope you all enjoyed reading A Journey Through Time.

I would like to give a special shoutout to my dear friend, Millie, who sparked this wonderful idea with one of her many flawless edits. Please follow her on Instagram (storybrookeoutlawqueen) to check out her work. Thanks for being such an honest friend and beautiful spirit. I'm lucky to have been blessed with your friendship.

As always, comment your thoughts and reactions to this chapter as well as the entire story. I like to have conversations about my work and who better to talk to than the readers? Wish something had gone a different way? Want to know more about why I made the choices I did? Send me a message or post it in the comments so we can talk about it. Thank you all for your endless support with this story as well as my others. Without your kind words and overly enthusiastic fangirling (which I adore more than anything), I would never have gotten these ideas into writing. So here's to you, my precious readers. You are all beautiful.