Discovery

Regina sat at a picnic table in the park across from the lake, her hand placed securely over her purse protecting the pixie dust that lived inside. Her eyes scanned the park observing children at play and adults mingling, everyone anxious to know the name of their Prince.

She spotted Robin near the water teaching Roland how to skip rocks. She caught herself smiling at the sight and placed her fingers over her mouth. She turned her head when she felt a familiar presence sitting down beside her.

"I'm glad you're here," Snow said to her stepmother with a smile.

"Of course I'm here. It's tradition," Regina responded.

"No. I mean, I'm glad you're not hiding from this," she gestured toward the outlaw. "I can't imagine what you're going through."

"And trust me, you don't want to." They sat still, both women refusing to look at the other. "I wanted to apologize."

Snow turned her head and watched as Regina continued to speak without looking in her direction.

"I've done a lot in the past to hurt you and everyone close to you. I see now that my actions were misguided. I can't undo the damage I've done or the suffering I've caused. And I can't say I regret any of it because it led me here to Henry. But I can apologize to you now and only hope you can find it in your heart to, not necessarily forgive me, but to at least give me a second chance. I can't make up for lost time as your mother, but perhaps we could start over as friends."

"Thank you, Regina," she placed her hand atop of her stepmother's, pleased to see how far she's come. "I would like that. More than you know."

The former Queen nodded, feeling a weight lift from her shoulders. It was a shame what happened because Regina really enjoyed Snow when she was a child. They could have shared an incredible bond, but it was too late now. At least they had a chance at some sort of civilized relationship now. She felt Mary Margaret stand, but looked up at her knowing there was more she wanted to discuss.

"How did you know," she asked and the woman sat back down.

"How did I know what?"

"That David was the one."

"Honestly," Snow began, "I never knew for sure. I just know that every time I look at him, I can't imagine a world where he isn't there. And when he's near me, no matter where we are, I'm home."

Regina allowed the words to sink in and Mary Margaret gave her that time. She stood up from the table again and placed her hand on Regina's shoulder, "It's like I've told you before. You feel things deeply, with your entire soul. If you trust those feelings, I know you'll find what you're looking for."

Mary Margaret approached her husband and they shared a tender kiss, the newborn sleeping peacefully in David's arms. She was home.

Regina knew that feeling all too well. A place of happiness and unconditional love. A place where she felt safe yet powerful, admired yet respected. Home was what she spent her entire life searching for, but didn't realize she had it until that very moment. Her heart leapt in her chest. She knew what she needed to do.

"People of Storybrooke, we are pleased to introduce you to your Prince, named after a loyal subject and treasured friend: Prince Neal," Snow said beaming when she saw Emma's reaction to the announcement. Regina was distracted from her thoughts upon hearing the speech and the applause of everyone in the park.

That's when she heard the dreadful sound and thought her life was about to end. Her head whipped around to the lake and she was sprinting over before her mind had time to process what was happening.

Pongo barked as he swam to shore, trying desperately to tell Robin something. He looked out into the water and that's when he saw it: Henry's red and gray striped scarf floating with the boy nowhere in sight.

"Henry!" Robin shouted, removing his leather jacket and boots before diving into the lake. Regina approached breathlessly moments later, wrapping Roland in her arms so he wouldn't follow his father into the lake. She watched as he swam to the center, diving deeper each time in search of her son.

After what felt like a century, Robin emerged pulling her son back to shore. She knelt down beside him with tears in her eyes as she held her trembling hand over his chest, using her magic to resuscitate him. Within seconds, he choked up water and Robin rolled the boy onto his side and rubbed his back. Regina let out a sob as she leaned over, pressing her forehead to his.

By then, Emma had come to Regina's side to check on her son. She placed her hand over the one his adoptive mother still had on his chest, sharing in the relief that he was alive. When he was ready, they helped him sit up and he took in his surroundings.

"You scared us to death, kid," Emma said ruffling his hair.

"How did you end up in the lake, son," Robin asked him and Regina nearly choked at his choice of words. They looked at one another so briefly that it would have taken someone staring at them to notice, but so much was exchanged in that short glance.

"We were playing fetch and I over threw the ball into the lake. I didn't realize his leash was under me when Pongo ran after it and he dragged me into the water. I think I hit my head while I was under because I couldn't tell which way was up," he closed his eyes and rubbed his head.

"I'll take you to see Dr. Whale right now," Regina said.

"No, mom. I'm fine. I just--"

"Henry Daniel Mills!" she raised her voice so he would stop his protests. "You will do as I say."

He nodded slowly and let Robin help him to his feet. Emma wrapped her arm around his shoulders and helped him walk toward Regina's car. She took a step forward and pulled Robin into her, ignoring the fact that his clothes were soaked.

"Thank you," she whispered into his ear and kissed his cheek gently, tears running down her face. He closed his eyes, taking in the familiar scent of her hair as he wrapped his arms around her.

She pulled away, lingering there for only a second before making her way to the picnic table to pick up her purse and get back to Henry. She froze when she spotted the stableboy seated in the space she occupied only a short time ago.

"His name is Henry Daniel?" He whispered, clearly moved by the discovery as he stood and forced her to keep eye contact with him. All she could do was nod before picking up her bag. He grabbed her hand and she looked back at him with fire in her eyes.

"I need to be with my son," she said sternly. That's when he saw it. This was not the same girl he fell in love with as he watched her ride Rocinante freely through the fields. She was no longer that child afraid of disappointing her mother if she was late for tea. She was indeed a woman. A woman with a child of her own that she would rather die for than see any harm come to him.

He removed his hand, his gaze shifting to the ground sheepishly. She turned on her heels and rushed to her car without looking back. But if she did look back, she would have caught Daniel looking toward the lake watching Robin as he cradled Roland to his chest, cherishing every moment he spent with his son. The stableboy's heart broke as he realized the outlaw was everything Regina needed in this life and everything Daniel himself was not.