The Stableboy

The next morning, Regina's alarm signaled the time for her day to begin. She turned it off, but remained in bed for a few extra minutes, staring at the ceiling. She tossed and turned all night, her mind still processing the day's events. She didn't remember falling asleep, but knew it wasn't for very long considering her mind just wouldn't rest.

The house was too quiet that morning and her heart ached knowing exactly what was missing. There was no good morning kiss from Robin or the pitter patter of Roland's little feet or the groans from Henry when Roland tried to wake him up for the day. It was empty. She sat up and saw Pongo laying on the bed just below her feet. She smiled for the first time since Daniel returned upon seeing the Dalmatian's tail wag when he knew she was awake.

She rolled out of bed and straightened her silk pajamas before walking down the stairs to let Pongo run around the backyard. She poured herself a cup of coffee, set with a timer so it was ready for her each morning, and brought it upstairs with her while she dressed herself for work.

When she was done, she made her way back down the stairs and filled Pongo's food and water bowls before letting the dog back inside.

"There you go, buddy," she said petting him as he ate. She never ate breakfast, but without growing boys to cook for that morning she suddenly felt lonely again. She pulled out her phone and sent Henry a text that she was sure would embarrass him hoping that would lift her spirits.

Regina gathered her things and put a leash on the dog before making her way to Town Hall. With Henry staying with Emma that night to give his mother some space to think, she was responsible for Pongo. She didn't mind, but also didn't want to leave him alone in her house all day afraid that he would destroy her very expensive furniture. So she would have an office companion for the day.

She got to her office and sat behind her desk, Pongo at her feet busy with his bone. She tried to focus on the mounds of paperwork and messages, but her mind just wasn't into her mayoral duties that day. Her thoughts were consumed by the men in her life.

Feeling the stress rising from her core, Regina stood and paced around the office. She stopped often to look out the window or at the statue of Rocinante on her mantle as if these things would provide her with the answers to all her problems. She huffed in frustration, causing Pongo to jump up onto her couch and bark.

"I know, Pongo, but I can't relax. I have too much on my mind. Tell me," she began. "What would you do if you were playing house with your so-called soulmate and the first love of your life returns from the dead to whisk you away?" The dog whimpered and leaned down to place his face between his paws. Regina laughed and sat down beside him. "Tell me about it."

There was a light knock at the door and Pongo sat up, focusing his attention in that direction. She stood from the couch and moved to answer the door. Her heart felt heavy as her eyes were met with the sight of the stable boy.

"I know you said you needed some time, but I ran into Emma today and she mentioned you worked here--," he paused, taking in her stare before continuing. "I just needed to see you. Could I come in?"

Regina nodded and stepped aside to allow him entry. She knew he wouldn't sit unless he was offered a seat so she gestured toward the couch. He sat at one end and she returned to the other next to Pongo.

"Would you like a drink? Water? Apple cider?"

"Regina you don't have to be polite with me. If you're angry, be angry," he said and she couldn't help, but chuckle before responding.

"Trust me, Daniel. If I were angry, you'd know it."

They sat in silence, neither one knowing the proper thing to say. Daniel's laughter filled the air and Regina furrowed her brow in confusion.