Fifty-Three

I made my way through the aisles of the grand library. Augustus and I had finally come out of our perfect little bubble, him elated and me rather sore. We would've stayed there forever, but Marcel knocked on the door, claiming there was an urgent matter for the King to attend to.

He had rushed off, giving me a quick kiss. I couldn't stop thinking about what Augustus had told me about being his Queen. I had an uneasy feeling about everything. I felt conflicted. On one hand I loved August with everything in me. On the other hand, I wasn't sure I could be happy in the role waiting for me, not long term anyway. It wasn't being Queen or having babies, it was the thought that I would always stand in his shadow, and I wanted more for myself.

I thought it would be a good idea to do some research on what being in the position may look like. Hence me being in the library.

I had already grabbed a few books on royal life in the factions, as well as how it would work socially.

I grabbed one last book, "A Queen and Her Duties" Hopefully it would shine some light on what was to come.

I made my way along the wall of windows, looking out over the land. It was a beautiful, warm day. I tried not to let the sight of the dying land beyond the castle walls get to me.

I was heading for the red couch that August and I had sat on all those months ago, but I stopped when I spotted Nargue on a bay window being the couch.

I held my books a little closer and debated turning around before she saw me. I still knew very little about the woman and felt hesitant around her.

I decided to find a different spot, as she looked very dialed in on the book in her hand. I hesitated but eventually turned on my heel.

"You're welcome to sit. If you'd like." Nargue's sensual voice filled the space and I felt myself freeze. Should I stay? I didn't want to impose.

But I also didn't want to be rude. I slowly made my way to the red couch, sitting on my end. I slipped off my heels and pulled my legs up onto the couch. I knew I would be here a while and wanted to be comfortable.

Nargue closed her book and made her way to the opposite end of the couch. I pulled my legs a little closer and opened the first book. I kept my eye on her subtly and started to read, although I was struggling to absorb the information with her so close. Something about her made me feel so exposed. And I couldn't figure out why.

"Interesting choice of reading material." She said politely, keeping her eyes on the blue book in her hands.

I cleared my throat quietly and replied, "Um, yeah...I am just curious about how things may work...one day."

"That was a surprising twist to the night. Our brother has always been full of surprises."

I just smiled and mumbled, "Yeah..."

"Took you guys long enough, I figured since you were back, you would've tied the knot already."

Confusion filled me and I furrowed my brows, "What do you mean?"

She looked at me directly, her eyes swirling slightly, the serpentine look had returned.

I cleared my throat and looked away. She was so intense to be around.

Shock covered her features, followed by disappointment, "You don't know."

I met her eyes once more and pity lay there.

"What do I not know, Nargue?"

She seemed to hesitate, an odd action coming from her. She shook her head softly and sighed deeply. "It's not my story to tell."

"Please. If it pertains to me, it's my story and I am allowed to know. I've felt people are keeping secrets since I first arrived. Many people have said, 'Welcome back,' and there is that weird thing with these gowns, I mean I've never even been measured. Everyone deflects when I bring it up. I deserve to know before I commit to marrying August. What is going on?"

She sighed again loudly, slamming her book shut and placing it on the coffee table. She looked at me and gestured for me to put my book down, so I did. I felt my heart start to quicken and my hands become clammy.

"Augustus is going to try to kill me if I tell you this. I thought he would have told you by now. This wasn't the plan." It was odd to see the powerful woman so nervous, and if she was nervous, I should've been terrified.

I didn't know how to respond, if what she told me was going to make August angry, I wouldn't force her to tell me. I waited to see what she would do, pressing my sweaty hands down onto the silk fabric of my red dress. I tried to wait patiently but every second that passed made me more restless.

"Davina. We know each other." Her voice was a nervous whisper in the silence of the library. "We have known one another for hundreds of years."